Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tennis elbow - cortisone injection

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
Anyone ever had one? Got one booked tomorrow, done some tinternet research and reading some bad stuff.............

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
Had one for tennis elbow last year. Didn't really help at all but didn't do any harm either...

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Had one for a frozen shoulder last year. Didn't make one bit of difference. If anything, worse. However, eight years ago I had an epidural in the spine for a vertebrae problem and its been perfect with no problems since.

Toss of a coin chance I guess? Good luck.

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
Thanks for your replies. I'm going for it. Doesn't help being on Dry January, so I won't even be able to drink the pain away....

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
I frequently get TE, usually from ...er...playing tennis.

A doctor friend showed me a really good routine that works everytime and negates the need to inject yourself with Cortisone....

Stand up straight
Arms down to the side stretched with palm of hand facing out
Repeatedly clench fist and then release so that your arm muscle is tense then relaxed, tensed then relaxed etc
Repeat for 20 times and then rest for five minutes and repeat again.
Cures my TE problems , hope it works for you.

TNBA

TTF

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

A doctor friend showed me a really good routine that works everytime and negates the need to inject yourself with Cortisone....

Stand up straight
Repeatedly clench fist and then release so that your arm muscle is tense then relaxed, tensed then relaxed etc

TNBA

TTF

Exactly this. Always try the right exercises before resorting to injections.

The routine below cured mine a treat and it's never come back since. I didn't get it through playing tennis mind.

Be patient, do the routine regularly and I'd be amazed if it doesn't cure the problem. Good luck.

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .
After playing Mens Doubles regularly once a week for well over 25 years I now find myself with a strain of Tennis Elbow after backing up on a Monday night to play Singles the day after our annual Golf & Tennis weekend away.
Another guy in our group of 6 also has a strain of it but for slightly different reasons and we're both aware, as you are too, of the possible downside to cortisone injections.
We're both currently seeing physios and both of them have given us similar forms of hand resist exercises which need to run for at least 4-6 weeks to build up muscle strength which will get the tension back in the arm.
It's very a personal choice and in my case I'm happy to attempt curing TE through consistent medium term exercise with the idea of turning to cortisone injections as a last resort.
Good Luck with whichever method you choose.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Yes, and for golfer's elbow too. It was due to RSI. The injections were painful and did work for a while, but the problem comes back. When I changed jobs, the problem went away to a certain extent but can return mildly, if I strain that arm.
I found putting ice on the joint worked as well, if not, better.

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
Just been signed off by physio having had tennis elbow, took 3 months of exercise and wearing a proper support when doing anything repetitive to cure the problem. Try this first before any injections.

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
Several supports and straps etc available online - anyone have any experince of something that works well to support the tendon and limit the pain of reaching/gripping?

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
Several supports and straps etc available online - anyone have any experince of something that works well to support the tendon and limit the pain of reaching/gripping?

Tennis elbow support straps are very good, that's what I have been using. About £15 but worth it as it does relieve the pain.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
A friend of mine is having a cortisone injection in his knee as we speak - having known people who've had the injection for TE I don't envy him

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
It only Hurts when I Move !

Stand up straight

TNBA

TTF

That reads like what happens when cycling, which I suspect caused the problem in the first place. Physio diagnosed frozen shoulder and Doctor tennis elbow. I suspect I've got "Cyclist's Shoulder & Elbow Syndrome". Straight handlebars do not help. Elbows stick out and the arms seems to twist all the time?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here