Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Subbed players just walking off

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Has the way Huddersfield made their substitutions been commented on yet?

I'm not sure I've ever seen the player being subbed off just walk off the pitch at the touchline closest to him. Makes a lot of sense, clearly, when time is short.

I think their manager, David Wagner, has a reputation for bucking convention, and I assume this is another illustration of that.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market

I'm not sure I've ever seen the player being subbed off just walk off the pitch at the touchline closest to him. Makes a lot of sense, clearly, when time is short.

I think their manager, David Wagner, has a reputation for bucking convention, and I assume this is another illustration of that.

It's a better way to do it, though I'm not sure it's correct.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

When are the fixtures out ?

http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?332859-Huddersfield-Subs

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Originally on Saturday I thought it was a great idea which should be enforced. Get off at the nearest touchline or you'll get a yellow.

But then you'd miss out on those fantastic 20-second long ovations as some match-weary hattrick hero makes a valedictory march across the pitch to the dugout with a minute or two of the 90 to go, shaking hands with his team mates (and occasionally even the opposition) and applauding the crowd as they explode into voice and you feel a genuine collective sense of belonging and warmth and 'this is what football is all about'.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Originally on Saturday I thought it was a great idea which should be enforced. Get off at the nearest touchline or you'll get a yellow.

But then you'd miss out on those fantastic 20-second long ovations as some match-weary hattrick hero makes a valedictory march across the pitch to the dugout with a minute or two of the 90 to go, shaking hands with his team mates (and occasionally even the opposition) and applauding the crowd as they explode into voice and you feel a genuine collective sense of belonging and warmth and 'this is what football is all about'.

Unless you're supporting the other team, desperate for him to get off, because you're only one goal down, and there should be at least a couple of minutes injury time, still plenty for you to get that equaliser if this guy would just get off the pitch. For god's sake ref, don't shake his hand, he's playing you. Get him off so we can get on with it. Where are your damn cards!?

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015

Genuinely moving. I'm choking up .....

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
I sure most referee's would not allow that. The player just casually walking around the edge of the pitch without a tracksuit or vest on can easily get mistaken for an 'active' player.

But if the ref allows it, fair play to them.

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
Unless you're supporting the other team, desperate for him to get off, because you're only one goal down, and there should be at least a couple of minutes injury time, still plenty for you to get that equaliser if this guy would just get off the pitch. For god's sake ref, don't shake his hand, he's playing you. Get him off so we can get on with it. Where are your damn cards!?

The previous attack he's just sprinted 40 yards to try and get on the end of a punt up field, and then their manager has told him to get to the furthest point away from the sideline so his trudge, breaking into a ridiculously slow jog for 5 seconds,back across the field takes even longer.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I'm surprised its allowed, a player walking slowly behind a the goal line or up the touchline can confuse a linesman/ref if the ball is close to them, that's why subs have to wear bibs

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I sure most referee's would not allow that. The player just casually walking around the edge of the pitch without a tracksuit or vest on can easily get mistaken for an 'active' player.

But if the ref allows it, fair play to them.

They'd have to make it compulsory to go 'skins' in that case.

wardy wonder land

Dec 10, 2007
talking about this at the time,

general rule of "time added on" gives 30sec per sub - but not require if the sub "off" immediately leaves the pitch

so there should have been 1 min less injury time on saturday

Also the Bib / vest situation - all the subs warming up need to have a confusion reducing bib

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I think there's a lot to be commended about this. That said, I'm curious to know whether the same would have happened if Huddersfield had been a goal up. It's easy to speed things up when you're chasing the game, not so much so when you're clinging on to a lead.

I also wonder whether it might not be an issue for the referee and assistants, as somebody has already pointed out. You'd be pissed if somebody flagged your team offside because of your mate walking around the touchline in his full kit. Perhaps they should take their shirts off as a solution to this potential problem :thumbsup:

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
He wouldnt have done it if they had been 1-0 up he would have been straight across the middle of the park clapping the away support as he slowly trudged off

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
talking about this at the time,

general rule of "time added on" gives 30sec per sub - but not require if the sub "off" immediately leaves the pitch

so there should have been 1 min less injury time on saturday

They signalled 4 minutes, which is 'right' as standard - 4 substitutions and 4 cards in the half. That allows nothing for any actual injury stoppages though - Lualua for one, had treatment after the red card challenge. He played 4:32 according to the BBC live text, which seemed about right.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
They signalled 4 minutes, which is 'right' as standard - 4 substitutions and 4 cards in the half. That allows nothing for any actual injury stoppages though - Lualua for one, had treatment after the red card challenge. He played 4:32 according to the BBC live text, which seemed about right.

Where did you hear that it's 30 seconds for each yellow card, never heard that before. Thought the general rule is 30 seconds per sub and each goal plus whatever the ref thinks has been lost to other stoppages, which isn't normally very much unless Ferguson is your manage.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
The main consideration is security of the player and, I guess, crowd security.

Imagine a Jamie O'Hara, Wilfred Zaha, Robbie Savage etc situation and the player walking past the North Stand (or South as this occassion was) smiling or smirking, could all kick off couldn't it?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The main consideration is security of the player and, I guess, crowd security.

Imagine a Jamie O'Hara, Wilfred Zaha, Robbie Savage etc situation and the player walking past the North Stand (or South as this occassion was) smiling or smirking, could all kick off couldn't it?

More to the point, I'd be concerned about Zaha's ability to walk that extra distance without falling over.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
More to the point, I'd be concerned about Zaha's ability to walk that extra distance without falling over.

That instability only seems to kick in as he approaches the penalty area, so as long as he keeps back towards the advertising, he should be fine.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
A ref is under no obligation to add time on just because there is a substitution. He is only supposed to add time on when people take longer than reasonable to make a substitution or re-starting after a goal (and with taking set pieces/throw ins etc) as well as time for injuries. He has discretion to be stricter with time if he feels like someone is time wasting (i.e. not waiting for someone to get to unreasonable time to re-start play before adding time on).

The '30secs per...' thing is just something commentators came up with to try to understand the time, ignoring that refs can add it on at any point of stoppage, even if it's only a few seconds here and there. It soon adds up.

ringmerseagulltoo

Feb 16, 2012
Is it essential that the game stops for a substitution? Clearly that substitution is to the advantage of the team making it so they have to decide if 30 seconds of playing with ten men is worth it. The fourth official controls subs so he can prevent 12 players on the pitch and note the subs. It would completely stop the protracted walk off and ensure everything is done at the run. If play has been stopped for injury fair enough, as long as any player about to be substituted doesn't immediately go down and ask for the trainer. A little bit of thinking needed for that one.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here