Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

World Championship of Ping Pong

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Anyone else watching? Semi finals just starting on Sky Sports 5. Been watching for 3 hours now and it's great entertainment. 2 English, 1 Russian and a German. Enjoy :smile:

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I told you, it's Ping Pong. Bats with sandpaper instead of rubber. Only 2% of the spin compared to TT. Best of 3 or 5 sets up to 15. Sudden death at 14-14. One double point ball each per match in best of 3 or two in best of 5.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I wanted to ask why it was called ping pong & whether it's a different game to table tennis but I see that's been answered - never knew this!

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Well I'm awake for the new day having watched with Mrs Earle, 6 hours of toe to toe Ping Pong last night. Usually hi-tec table tennis players being forced to play a lo-tec version of the game. They don't even use their own bats. Like a dual, they are offered 4 identical bats and just choose one, then swap bats after each set. This is the first new sport I've watched in years and it's a bit gladitorial. No wonder Barry Hearne is involved and sees growth potential like darts. Excuse my enthusiasm, but Mrs E watched the whole 6 hours with me, and apart from the a#%e of a Scot, who came on in a kilt and did the whole shebang of time wasting gamesmanship, gestures and expressions, lack of sportsmanship etc., it was played in a good spirit. Can't wait to see it again. Oh, and the World Champion is Englishman, Andrew Baggeley, who won just $20,000.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here