Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Why is Harveys so inconsistent??

Buckeejit

Sep 21, 2014
Need to choose my words carefully here as I know fatwas can be issued in Sussex if you're critical of Harveys but why the hell is it so inconsistent?? Pre-match yesterday, our group of 3 ale-heads left a Harveys pub in Lewes after one very ordinary/kinda rubbish pint (their 'IPA' tastes EXACTLY the same as Harveys Best btw...) 'cos we really couldn't face drinking any more of it but then once we got in the Amex (surprisingly!) I had a lovely fresh pint (nice creamy head etc) that lived up to the 'Sussex nectar' legend that Harveys enthusiasts so fervently believe in... on a rough estimate, from my experience, I'd say only about 1 pint in 20 of Harveys ever tastes as fine as the good one did... please explain, fellow ale enthusiast Albion brethren...

The whole point of real ale is the challenge to achieve quality and consistency. So much depends on how it is kept in the pub. Are the pipes clean and well rinsed? Was it served from the cellar anyway? Or was the barrel stored on a shelf behind the bar? How old was the barrel?

And which Lewes pub served the disappointing pints of IPA? There SHOULD be a difference between IPA and Best Bitter.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Need to choose my words carefully here as I know fatwas can be issued in Sussex if you're critical of Harveys but why the hell is it so inconsistent?? Pre-match yesterday, our group of 3 ale-heads left a Harveys pub in Lewes after one very ordinary/kinda rubbish pint (their 'IPA' tastes EXACTLY the same as Harveys Best btw...)

Not a HarveysHead by any means, but would suggest it maybe requires a second opinion as to whether the statement in bold above is actually the case or whether you are, on this occasion, being an anal ventriloquist.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
The beer sold at the Amex is Bright beer that's why they can roll a barrel in and serve it straightaway they don't have to tap it and lay it down for 24 hrs before serving.

Buckeejit

Sep 21, 2014
Not a HarveysHead by any means, but would suggest it maybe requires a second opinion as to whether the statement in bold above is actually the case or whether you are, on this occasion, being an anal ventriloquist.

In that case, all three of us were anal ventriloquists 'cos that was the unanimous collective verdict on the IPA... only our opinion of course!

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
It does vary a little but most of the variation is due to the pub/vendor. But the Harveys was particularly good at the Amex yesterday, sometimes it tastes a bit fizzy.

I think their IPA and Best taste utterly different but I think I am a "supertaster". The only similarity, though, is due to the fact that they both use the same (English) hops, whereas most of the microbrews these days use American varieties.

Last edited:

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
It does vary a little but most of the variation is due to the pub/vendor. But the Harveys was particularly good at the Amex yesterday, sometimes it tastes a bit fizzy.

I think their IPA and Best taste utterly different but I think I am a "supertaster". The similarity, though, is due to the fact that they both use the same (English) hops, whereas most of the microbrews these days use American varieties.

So it was particularly good at the Amex, making it inconsistent and the IPA is both utterly different to best but similar.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Harveys Bitter IS VERY GOOD however it does need looking after...Whilst the Amex has been improving their keeping/serving it is rare to get a good pint there.The Brewers Arms and the Lewes Arms , are two Lewes Pubs that serve a magnificent pint of Harveys.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

The Smugglers in Alfriston serves a pretty good Harveys too:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Harvey's do produce some superb beer.

Sadly the bog standard Harvey's ale is bloody awful.

I try Harvey's when in Sussex but I just don't like it.
Which of their beers is superb, I will look out for it and try it next time which will be the Easter weekend in and around Heathfield if know of any pubs that stock it.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
The 'traditional brewing' element of Harvey's (and all Real Ale) makes it vulnerable to a host of human errors after the casks leave the brewery. Being 2016 and all, there are of course plenty of modern solutions available to get a good tasting beer into a pub (like secondary fermentation in breweries, dry hopping, key kegs etc) but the tradition and power of CAMRA mean that breweries like Harvey's will always hand over the responsibility of pouring a good pint to the pub staff. No other country has this obsession with such old fashioned brewing techniques and it seems the craft beer revolution is having a similar effect on real ale as it is on the dull lager market in reducing their popularity . Of course, real ale has it's place but I get the feeling the younger generation of beer thinkers and drinkers want this :http://www.taptakeover.co.uk/ as opposed to this: http://www.sussexbeerfestival.co.uk/

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here