Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are Sheffield weds a bigger club than Leeds Utd?

Saltydog

Aug 29, 2011
Ocean Wave
Just been reading a few facts and figures and am oh so totally shocked as I think that Weds :lol: might just be - this is specifically based on successes during recent time (not another "my dads bigger than your dad" post). I thought Leeds were "it" but now I am just not so sure.

My bubble has been burst. :ohmy: :eek:

Mischievous Regards Salty.

Last edited:

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
No chance, I know of a fair few Leeds fans that live near by, never met a Wednesday fan.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Both Leeds and Wednesday are more MASSIVE than the rest of world football put together.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If old school grounds are the yardstick, they are both massive

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Yes, I believe Sheffield Wednesday are a bigger club.

Just look at their history of League Champions and FA Cup final wins compared to Leeds. Also been in the League for longer.

Recent history may just be in Leeds favour but overall SW bigger.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Wednesday have spent more season in the top flight that Leeds I think.

But, this is the Champions of Europe we are talking about.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I love Dirty, if I was a norverner I'd have their babies, if I was a woman, which I'm not, but you see what I mean?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
2 biggest clubs in Europe IMO - impossible to choose between the 2 giants..

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Why don't you state on what criteria you are basing this on. Recent history would have Leeds way above Sheff Wed, especially when you take into account that they have been in semi finals of the European Cup and Champions League. You might also need ot consider what their global presence is. The likes of Man Utd, Man City, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, etc have a global following. Apart from a few expats, I can't see the same being said for Wed whereas Leeds may have a little more.

At the end of the day, who gives a stuff, neither are Brighton and Hove Albion.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Leeds just pip it for me.
Because their fans have the biggest mouths, biggest heads, biggest egos, biggest chips on their shoulders, and biggest delusions of grandeur than Wednesday fans.
But it's a very close call.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Having lived in Sheffield for ages I've always seen Wednesday as being a bit crap in general. Most of the Wednesday fans I know have a bit of a sense of entitlement problem, in that they feel they DESERVE to be in the top division because their club is so MASSIVE.

Over the years I had to endure quite a bit of stick for supporting TINY Brighton which has obviously turned round somewhat in recent years. United fans on the whole are different and more resigned to their team being pretty shit with any success being a bonus instead of being deserved. Just an observation.

I was walking to the pub years ago wearing an Albion shirt when a group of blokes fixing a wall saw me from a distance. One shouted "Wednesday are shit!!". I shouted back "It's Brighton not Wednesday" to which he replied "Oh, sorry mate!". Which isn't relevant but was funny.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Having lived in Sheffield for ages I've always seen Wednesday as being a bit crap in general. Most of the Wednesday fans I know have a bit of a sense of entitlement problem, in that they feel they DESERVE to be in the top division because their club is so MASSIVE.

Over the years I had to endure quite a bit of stick for supporting TINY Brighton which has obviously turned round somewhat in recent years. United fans on the whole are different and more resigned to their team being pretty shit with any success being a bonus instead of being deserved. Just an observation.

I was walking to the pub years ago wearing an Albion shirt when a group of blokes fixing a wall saw me from a distance. One shouted "Wednesday are shit!!". I shouted back "It's Brighton not Wednesday" to which he replied "Oh, sorry mate!". Which isn't relevant but was funny.

Good anecdote, but don't all teams that have been in the top division feel some kind of entitlement? Just look at some of our hallowed posters on NSC. And lets be fair we are a nothing club in terms of achievement.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth

I could be wrong, it's just an observation but I have always felt that Sheffield United fans are more passionate and loyal than Wednesday.

Feb 14, 2010
Both clubs succesful on the pitch and have good support. Leeds still a national support after their glory years. However its right to say that they are both big clubs, its just that they get smaller crowds than Brighton and Hovve Albion, always an amusing line to deliver to a leeds or wednesday fan

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
If old school grounds are the yardstick, they are both massive

There's a bit more to it these days. Old School ground is needed but so is a base in Yorkshire that's so shit that anyone with money moved away to London years ago and now only does away games. It helps if you were recently the champions of Europe but you get points for recently having had the biggest crowds in League One. Score draw here. Impossible to separate,

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Leeds easily. They sell out nearly every away end every week. Wednesday no chance.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here