Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

French league more exciting than Premier League

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Just had a look at Ligue 1 and there are only 25 points separating 19 teams whereas there are 31 separating 19 in the Premier League. The only flaw is that there are 24 points separating the top team from the second!!!!

How long before PSG want to start playing in a different league, maybe La Liga or the Bundesliga! Good job Platini is no longer in charge as he would probably have let them.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
When PSG knock Chelsea out of the CL in a couple of weeks we are going to be told how shit the pl is again, nothing to do with them having already wrapped the title up

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
When PSG knock Chelsea out of the CL in a couple of weeks we are going to be told how shit the pl is again, nothing to do with them having already wrapped the title up

I tend to agree with this, in La Liga Barca, Real and Atletico only have each other to worry about, the other teams represent a huge drop off in standard, same with PSG in Ligue 1, Bayern and Dortmund in Bundesliga, in the Premier League every game is a flat out 100mph game, no time for resting players etc. Until the other European leagues pick up British clubs will struggle, IMHO.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
How long before PSG want to start playing in a different league, maybe La Liga or the Bundesliga! Good job Platini is no longer in charge as he would probably have let them.

like some sort of league of champions from across europe?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I tend to agree with this, in La Liga Barca, Real and Atletico only have each other to worry about, the other teams represent a huge drop off in standard, same with PSG in Ligue 1, Bayern and Dortmund in Bundesliga, in the Premier League every game is a flat out 100mph game, no time for resting players etc. Until the other European leagues pick up British clubs will struggle, IMHO.

I wonder when PSG last played a game that had anything resting on it, October? Nov?

It was the same with Juve as well - it's slightly different this year as they have a title fight

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
Just had a look at Ligue 1 and there are only 25 points separating 19 teams whereas there are 31 separating 19 in the Premier League. The only flaw is that there are 24 points separating the top team from the second!!!!

Not sure if still the case, but two weeks ago, the team in second was closer to the relegation zone than they were to top.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
I wonder when PSG last played a game that had anything resting on it, October? Nov?

It was the same with Juve as well - it's slightly different this year as they have a title fight

And Bundesliga, It is only a matter of time before the Super Elite from each league try and break away again.

The only thing stopping it happening already is the Premier league TV deal, which satisfies our club and prevents them from joining forces with the othe big European clubs and breaking away.

beefypigeon

Aug 14, 2008

Agreed. I've been saying this for the last year or so. The bigger teams abroad can afford to rotate their squads at will throughout the season due to weaker opponents. In the prem there are literally no easy games so it isn't as easy to do this. The winter schedule in England also doesn't help, where other countries have a nice break of a week or two to recharge the batteries.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Agreed. I've been saying this for the last year or so. The bigger teams abroad can afford to rotate their squads at will throughout the season due to weaker opponents. In the prem there are literally no easy games so it isn't as easy to do this. The winter schedule in England also doesn't help, where other countries have a nice break of a week or two to recharge the batteries.

Plus the cups.

I personally would reduce the PL to 18

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

I half agree - I'm not sure that the reason PSG, Barca or Real are better than what we have is anything to do with the quality of the lower end of their leagues. Barca and Real are good because they can simply hoover up the best players in the world. PSG and Bayern can too, but they have the advantage of zero competition at the top end of the league (never mind the quality of the bottom end).

In the Premier league, the competition is at the bottom end AND the top end. I do think the quality of the league in this country overall is as good as anywhere. At any given time here, there aren't many clubs who are complete financial pushovers. Bournemouth's stadium is an outlier, but in France, Spain and Italy a third of the league are playing in front of 9 or 10,000 - and the money in the Premier League is so great that even a small club like Bournemouth can "cherry"-pick the talent from much bigger clubs in the division below - Afobe from Wolves, for example. You won't find Stade Reims, Levante, Rayo or Carpi doing that.

But that said, it wasn't long ago that Mick McCarthy but a team of reserves out at Man Utd (got thumped 3-0) so that he could rest players for a crucial relegation 6 pointer against someone like Sunderland.

I think the real difference is that in most Euro leagues, the big clubs can plan for a Champions league spot most seasons. You only have to look at our current Champions (or Man Utd and Liverpool) to see that our giants can't consider that a lock. Therefore, Chelsea (who need to play like champions from here-on in to have any chance of the top 4), cannot afford to drop off domestically. Maybe this sort of intensity will do Chelsea a favour and help them beat PSG...

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
And change the league cup for PL teams so rhat must field a U21 side based on the U21 eligibilty criteria.

I don't understand this at all. Most premier league teams, especially those chasing honours, don't field their strongest teams anyway. They give fringe players match time.

With regard to others comments about a winter break I don't believe for one minute that a one week break would make a big enough difference. The top clubs have a squad of 25 and it's up to them to manage that through rotation.

Looking at overseas, PSG have a massive financial advantage with the backing of, effectively, the country of Qatar. They have however seemingly escaped any real punishment under UEFA FFP. Real and Barcelona have the advantage of negotiating their own tv deals at the expense of the other members of La Liga.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
And change the league cup for PL teams so rhat must field a U21 side based on the U21 eligibilty criteria.

Oddly, PL cups take the LC more seriously now, more so than the FA Cup in some cases.

Its mid week and over before the business end of the season

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I don't understand this at all. Most premier league teams, especially those chasing honours, don't field their strongest teams anyway. They give fringe players match time.

With regard to others comments about a winter break I don't believe for one minute that a one week break would make a big enough difference. The top clubs have a squad of 25 and it's up to them to manage that through rotation.

Looking at overseas, PSG have a massive financial advantage with the backing of, effectively, the country of Qatar. They have however seemingly escaped any real punishment under UEFA FFP. Real and Barcelona have the advantage of negotiating their own tv deals at the expense of the other members of La Liga.

The Winter break would mean jack, the top clubs would send the teams to USA/Asia

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Which is why everyone watches the Premier League. Not because it's the best football in the world, but because it can be unpredictable week in week out.

That said, a look at the clubs that tend to win it would suggest a level of predictability. However, the post-Ferguson era may well challenge that norm.

I wonder what global armchair supporter would rather watch? Top Flight English football or the Champions League? I don't know the answer to that.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
the locals I speak to love the English league,it's far more quicker and they say the atmosphere is better,maybe not so much now

you don't get that many away fans travelling in France,probably has something to do with it

the French league is more technical,very pleasing on the eye,but it doesn't exactly get you jumping out your seat

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here