Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern rail...what a shambles

Trotty

Feb 22, 2012
The only home weekend for the Albion in January and they put on replacement bus service.....sorry single deck coach service with no standing. Just got on at Hassocks where there were about 50 people waiting , only about 6 managed to get on, and that was on 2 coaches. What a cock up, and now there are horrendous queues going into Brighton so might get to the game by half-time.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Maybe plan ahead and leave earlier next time??? Just in case eh.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
The rail maintenance is planned much further in advance than the fixtures.

I'm not sure why it can't be reviewed and adjusted once the fixtures are known, though.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
An Albion match wouldn't be considered a major enough reason. Especially as the biggest proportion of attendees are using other routes/options.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
National rail plan these 1+ year in advance

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The service to the Brighton match from Brighton Was fine.

As was the service back into Brighton after the game. Gave up on the big slow post-match catering queues in the North and got just about the whole front carriage of the 17:28 all to myself :thumbsup:

luppers

Aug 10, 2008
Didim, Turkey
Perfect service by Southern to and from Eastbourne . No12 bus waiting at E/B station totake me home ☺��
It was so good that they put an eight coach train in service coming in, shame the bloody thing did not stop at Falmer !.Oh then they put a four coach train on the return journey leaving god knows how many people at Falmer, yes perfict!

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Cycled door to door with only a minor irritation on the way, heavy traffic between Seven Dials and Preston Circus, otherwise it was all good.

downham seagull

Dec 6, 2012
Norfolk
Can't fault southern & Grest Northen, 2 separate bus replacements, efficient helpful service, great staff willing to help. Took an extra 40 minutes from Downham Market going and 50 minutes coming back. If we want a better service long term it has to be done unfortulently.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It was so good that they put an eight coach train in service coming in, shame the bloody thing did not stop at Falmer !.Oh then they put a four coach train on the return journey leaving god knows how many people at Falmer, yes perfict!

Caught the 17.51 Seaford train after having a leisurely drink, and the platform was clear. Easy to get seats on the train too.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Brilliant today, extra trains on Coastway West due to engineering work, what could possibly be better ?

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
If we want a better service long term it has to be done unfortulently.

Network Rail and the TOCs have been telling us that for literally years (at least the last 15 years when I've been a regular train user), yet it never actually seems to happen.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
There was an expert on the radio last week explaining the infrastructure problems. Apparently the majority of the track ballast was laid in the 1930's and apart from the odd patch has not been renewed..he suggested a total closedown of 6 weeks would get the essential maintenance done but 6 months to do a decent job of the whole track.

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
Started from Haywards Heath station at 12.30 (surely early enough). Got to the ground at 2.45. I did feel sorry for the fans at Burgess Hill and Hassocks stations as both coaches were full. I don't know how long they had to wait for the next one. I realize that work needs to be done on the railways and will make sure to change my journey next time but did arrive thirsty and frustrated.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here