Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Moffat Leaving Dr Who

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
He peaked during S5 with Matt Smith. Went downhill from there.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I won't be sad to see him go.

I hope the new chap remembers that it should be a show for all the family not just a small number of Whovians.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
No loss, shame we have to put up with another series written by him before there is any chance of improvement though.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I'm a big fan of his work on Dr Who & Sherlock, but the last series of Dr Who was too introspective and lacked those bigger narrative threads, and the Sherlock Xmas special took the concept of the mind palace too far, way too far for a whole feature to be built around it. Perhaps he needs a rest.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I really don't see the problem with Moffat personally and (so far) I've not seen anyone give a half decent reason why they dislike him...I'm sure there are some but it feels like a lot people say it just to go with the crowd. Like when Barnes was here.

Either way, the Broadchurch writer can only succeed in making things darker which is a good thing in my book...

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I really don't see the problem with Moffat personally and (so far) I've not seen anyone give a half decent reason why they dislike him...I'm sure there are some but it feels like a lot people say it just to go with the crowd. Like when Barnes was here.

Either way, the Broadchurch writer can only succeed in making things darker which is a good thing in my book...

I'm personally glad he's going because it's far too geeky and complicated. I used to watch with my lad (7 yrs) but it's lost on him. He's not stupid either as he regularly explains films to my wife (who is stupid and would struggle to identify Alan Rickman as the baddie in Die Hard)

It's all a very long way from the very 1st weeping angels episode which was one of the best bits of telly I've seen in Sci fi. 2nd point - neither of us get on with Malcolm Tucker

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It's all a very long way from the very 1st weeping angels episode which was one of the best bits of telly I've seen in Sci fi. 2nd point - neither of us get on with Malcolm Tucker

Well said.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I'm personally glad he's going because it's far too geeky and complicated. I used to watch with my lad (7 yrs) but it's lost on him. He's not stupid either as he regularly explains films to my wife (who is stupid and would struggle to identify Alan Rickman as the baddie in Die Hard)

Surely geeky is a part of the whole Doctor Who thing though? Complicated is an understandable issue though, I do wonder how younger fans get through the more recent series without having parts explained to them.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
It was getting a bit too surreal for me in the last series. Maybe a change is a good thing

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
I rather liked the last couple of series. But that might be because the awful matt Smith is no longer doctor.

Brighthelmstone

Nov 9, 2011
Burgess Hill
Not dissappointed to be honest. it all became far to intense trying to work out what/when things were happening, prefered the lighter style. But full appreciate im not a 'highbrow' viewer!

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
No loss, shame we have to put up with another series written by him before there is any chance of improvement though.
This. Also will there be a change of Doctor, maybe at Christmas? Not that Peter Capaldi isn't good but all his stories bar maybe one have been terrible (because of the showrunner and his early 70s fixation mostly).

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
This. Also will there be a change of Doctor, maybe at Christmas? Not that Peter Capaldi isn't good but all his stories bar maybe one have been terrible (because of the showrunner and his early 70s fixation mostly).

I read a rumour somewhere that Capaldi will leave at the end of the next series.

Tim Roth wants to do it. I'd be interested in seeing that.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Capaldi was hinting the 'tenth' series will be his last http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/12/24/doctor-who-peter-capaldi-quits-series-10_n_8872710.html.

I seem to remember Matt Smith starting at the same time as Moffat - or is my memory playing tricks on me? If I'm remembering that right, it would make some sense for there to be a new doctor with the new writer.

I haven't had a problem with Moffat or his approach. I've mostly enjoyed the shows to varying degrees, but I think long running shows like this need to switch up their show runner to stop things becoming stale.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I read a rumour somewhere that Capaldi will leave at the end of the next series.

Tim Roth wants to do it. I'd be interested in seeing that.

The idea of Tim Roth being the doctor made me do a little geek wee.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Capaldi was hinting the 'tenth' series will be his last http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/12/24/doctor-who-peter-capaldi-quits-series-10_n_8872710.html.

I seem to remember Matt Smith starting at the same time as Moffat - or is my memory playing tricks on me? If I'm remembering that right, it would make some sense for there to be a new doctor with the new writer.

I haven't had a problem with Moffat or his approach. I've mostly enjoyed the shows to varying degrees, but I think long running shows like this need to switch up their show runner to stop things becoming stale.

Smith came in with Moffat as Tennant chose to leave with RTD to smooth the transition.

I do hope Moffat comes back for the odd individual episode. A talented writer who stretched himself a bit too thinly with both Sherlock and Who on the go.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here