Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Goldson ready to fight for his place [The Argus]

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
Connor Goldson*admits he faces a major battle to keep his Albion place.
But the centre-back is confident he has done all he can to be in the line-up against Huddersfield.
Goldson could make way for fit-again skipper Gordon Greer for the second time in three matches on Saturday, despite helping keep a clean sheet at Blackburn.
He admits he understood the decision to bring back the skipper for the recent defeat at Rotherham.
But he would love to keep his place this time as Albion seek a first home win in four attempts.

Goldson told The Argus: “We know GG’s qualities. I had to understand being left out at Rotherham.
“I’m still young and GG is probably in the prime of his career and is captain of the club.
“He has got a lot of authority at this club so I understood the decision but, at the same time, obviously I was disappointed.
“Every footballer wants to play games and I am no different.”
The Argus today runs the rule over Albion’s permutations at the back.
Greer and Lewis Dunk have re-emerged since the start of October as the first choice pairing when all four central defenders are available.
But Goldson is learning fast. He said: “It has been a tough period to come into.
“I’ve learnt about the team and certain people, what they do.”
Goldson is convinced Albion are well placed for a promotion push as they prepare for a trio of home games against Huddersfield, Brentford and Bolton.
He was part of Shrewsbury side who won promotion from League Two last term helped by 17 wins in their 23 home games.
The centre-back said: “We are still not in a bad position at all.
“Obviously we have come through our bad patch and hopefully every team in this division has another bad patch.
“No team is going to go all season unbeaten or without having a sticky patch.
“Hopefully we can turn the page and go on another run.
“We have got three games now and I think if you are a team who want to compete at the top of the league you have got to win your home games.
“It’s great to go away and get your wins but I’ve always thought a team who want to get promoted have got to win their home games.”

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here