Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sussex CCC - Greenfield appointed Director of Cricket

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I'm sure he is a lovely chap but at this point in time I'm underwhelmed..... For an extra £50 a week we could have got Grizzly back couldn't we ?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I live in his old house - there were loads of bats lying around when we looked at it. Sadly,.he didn't leave any behind.

I'm in the middle of my level 2 cricket coaching course - let's hope some of his influence rubs off on me. It should be said that the coaches at Sussex speak very highly of him

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Hasn't Keith been running the Academy ? He's been involved for a long time.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I live in his old house - there were loads of bats lying around when we looked at it. Sadly,.he didn't leave any behind.

You're lucky they are really hard to get rid off and make a hell of a screeching noise at night.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
I'm sure he is a lovely chap but at this point in time I'm underwhelmed..... For an extra £50 a week we could have got Grizzly back couldn't we ?

Cos he did a fantastic job at Surrey didn't he!

But he never looked capable of masterminding the lasting success the club required, and filling half the team with veteran players of 35 and over only deepened the impression that he had little idea of how to build a team but was more interested in instant solutions.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Cos he did a fantastic job at Surrey didn't he!

But he never looked capable of masterminding the lasting success the club required, and filling half the team with veteran players of 35 and over only deepened the impression that he had little idea of how to build a team but was more interested in instant solutions.

He has had plenty of time to think about mistakes of the past and improve on them in any subsequent coaching job....anyway, he was a " name " plucked out of the air who might have the personality and drive to galvanise an under performing squad, however we have gone for the budget option of promotion from within with a safe pair of hands, probably gentle on the tiller and a good communicator... yawn.

Martlet

Jul 15, 2003
He has had plenty of time to think about mistakes of the past and improve on them in any subsequent coaching job....anyway, he was a " name " plucked out of the air who might have the personality and drive to galvanise an under performing squad, however we have gone for the budget option of promotion from within with a safe pair of hands, probably gentle on the tiller and a good communicator... yawn.

Absolutely agree with this - we should have been looking for someone to breathe new life into the cricket side of the club - like Tony Pigott did back in the late 90s. Grizzly would have been an option, or someone like Murray Goodwin or an older player with good business sense.

Nothing against Greenfield, but I've nothing for him either. Mark Davis is a rookie coach and will need someone to challenge, cajole and support him in tough times. We've also a rookie captain.
Recipe for big problems if things go wrong...

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I prepared to wait and see how this new role improves the results on the field. Personally I like the promoting from within rather than always looking to bring someone in from the outside.

An immediate return to the Championship and I assume everyone will be happy.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Nothing against Greenfield, but I've nothing for him either. Mark Davis is a rookie coach and will need someone to challenge, cajole and support him in tough times. We've also a rookie captain.
Recipe for big problems if things go wrong...

But Greenfield's not a rookie. He's been on the coaching staff at Sussex since 2000, just the sort of person you would want supporting an inexperienced coach (and Davis isn't that inexperienced, he's been a coach at Sussex since 2005) - both of them have more experience than Grizzly. And both of them were on the coaching staff while we've been winning trophies.

Sussex have had a real change of attitude in the past couple of years and are looking to have much closer ties with club and school cricket: Greenfield, who has been Academy director, is exactly the right person who can lead this change. I'm on a coaching course run by the club and my kids have been on a coaching course run by the club and you get a real sense that everything is heading in the right direction. As I said, the coaches I've met have been very positive about Greenfield - you certainly don't get the impression he's a yes-man

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
But Greenfield's not a rookie. He's been on the coaching staff at Sussex since 2000, just the sort of person you would want supporting an inexperienced coach (and Davis isn't that inexperienced, he's been a coach at Sussex since 2005) - both of them have more experience than Grizzly. And both of them were on the coaching staff while we've been winning trophies.

Sussex have had a real change of attitude in the past couple of years and are looking to have much closer ties with club and school cricket: Greenfield, who has been Academy director, is exactly the right person who can lead this change. I'm on a coaching course run by the club and my kids have been on a coaching course run by the club and you get a real sense that everything is heading in the right direction. As I said, the coaches I've met have been very positive about Greenfield - you certainly don't get the impression he's a yes-man

Well, results will decide if he is the right man for the job. Let's hope he is inspirational or we may well be looking for another coach in 9 months time.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here