Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
We need to go for the jugular tomorrow, so:

--------------------------- Stockdale -------------------------
Bruno ------- Goldson -------- Dunk -------- Ridgewell
Knockaert ------- Stephens -------- Kayal --------- KLL
----------------- Wilson ----------- Zamora -----------------

Subs: Maenpaa, Calderon, Greer/Ince, Crofts, Murphy, Hemed, Baldock/Manu

No need to rush Greer back, but worth a place on the bench if fit enough, similarly with Baldock. Start with KLL for that initial impact, but also to see how long he can play for, rather than bringing him on and running the risk of him not being able to continue.
Goals and a victory, please.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Looks good to me.

Amazing how much better the team looks with a couple of players coming back and the added positivity from a victory last time out

GolfingGull

Jul 21, 2013
Costa del Worthing
We need to go for the jugular tomorrow, so:

--------------------------- Stockdale -------------------------
Bruno ------- Goldson -------- Dunk -------- Ridgewell
Knockaert ------- Stephens -------- Kayal --------- KLL
----------------- Wilson ----------- Zamora -----------------

Subs: Maenpaa, Calderon, Greer/Ince, Crofts, Murphy, Hemed, Baldock/Manu

No need to rush Greer back, but worth a place on the bench if fit enough, similarly with Baldock. Start with KLL for that initial impact, but also to see how long he can play for, rather than bringing him on and running the risk of him not being able to continue.
Goals and a victory, please.

Yep, good selection, although I expect Murphy will start instead of KLL unfortunately

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Unsure about who to choose as the best forward line: I would start with Lualua and Zamora with Knockaart out wide (but then I would play 4-3-3).

You choose

Bobby Zamora 80% record of scoring in 90 minutes of play.
2.5 shots on target. 50% accuracy.

15 out of 21 substitute appearances with 2 goals
6 starts with 4 goals and 1 assist.

Total: 6 goals.

No headed goals.

3 goals at home, 3 away.

2 in the first half, 4 goals in the second half.

Partners upfront have varied. Attack has been variable as well.

Always been the case that he becomes more effective as the game goes on. NB: he does not actually have all that many shots, just accurate when he gets the chance. Shots blocked counted as off target. That has always been his style.

Hemed 30% record of scoring in 90 minutes of play.
3.5 shots on target. 33% accuracy.

24 appearances with 5 goals, 2 assists
2 sub appearances with 1 goal and 1 assist.

Total: 6 goals (should be 5).

2 headed goals (1 credited with when he missed it).

3 goals at home, 3 away.

3 in the first half, 3 goals in the second half.

Hemed is a more persistent threat. 45% chance of being involved in goals in 90 minutes about half that of Bobby Zamora. Our two most effective strikers but playing them together has not worked (once).

Lualua 40% record of scoring in 90 minutes of play.
3.4 shots on target. 33% accuracy.

8 appearances with 3 goals, 0 assists
1 sub appearances with 0 goals

Total: 3 goals (Championship only)

2 goals at home, 1 away.

2 in the first half, 1 goals in the second half.

Wilson

30% record of scoring in 90 minutes of play.
2.3 shots on target. 33% accuracy.

7 appearances with 2 goals, 0 assists
4 sub appearances with 0 goals

Total: 2 goals (Championship only)

1 goals at home, 1 away.

1 in the first half, 1 goals in the second half.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I reckon Zamora is 50/50 to start. He's having to be incredibly carefully monitored.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
If Baldock is properly available, I'd start him ahead of Zamora. I really don't think starting Zamora is ever ideal as it means that one substitution absolutely has to happen.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
If Baldock is properly available, I'd start him ahead of Zamora. I really don't think starting Zamora is ever ideal as it means that one substitution absolutely has to happen.

I think that giving your best attacker, who probably has the best goals/minutes ratio in the league, as many minutes on the pitch as possible outweighs the fact that he's likely to tire after 60-70 minutes.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I think that giving your best attacker, who probably has the best goals/minutes ratio in the league, as many minutes on the pitch as possible outweighs the fact that he's likely to tire after 60-70 minutes.
60, never 70.

And I'm not actually convinced that a fully fit Sam Baldock wouldn't be preferable to a 35 year old talisman. Zamora has done brilliantly for us, but I doubt it was the plan to start him regularly. Baldock's form at the beginning of the season was instrumental to our flying start. His running off the ball certainly brings the best out of Hemed. I'd quite like to see what he can do alongside Wilson.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton

60, never 70.

And I'm not actually convinced that a fully fit Sam Baldock wouldn't be preferable to a 35 year old talisman. Zamora has done brilliantly for us, but I doubt it was the plan to start him regularly. Baldock's form at the beginning of the season was instrumental to our flying start. His running off the ball certainly brings the best out of Hemed. I'd quite like to see what he can do alongside Wilson.

Generally true, Zamora has only played over 70 minutes on two occasions this season (Blackburn (A), Charlton (H)) I could see him doing the same at Hudds if needed.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
His running off the ball certainly brings the best out of Hemed. I'd quite like to see what he can do alongside Wilson.

I can tell you right now - save waiting. They'll get pushed off the ball every time it goes near them, and generally bullied out of it, meaning that we can't retain possession and build any kind of platform in attacking areas. We'll eventually resort to hopeful long-balls over the top, which will achieve nothing, and the game will drift to a dull 0-0 draw.

Then on here divs will be explaining how the front two's 'movement' was first class, and it was all down to poor 'delivery'.

You're welcome.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Generally true, Zamora has only played over 70 minutes on two occasions this season (Blackburn (A), Charlton (H)) I could see him doing the same at Hudds if needed.

No reason why he shouldn't last 90 mins. He has two weeks to recover before our next game.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I can tell you right now - save waiting. They'll get pushed off the ball every time it goes near them, and generally bullied out of it, meaning that we can't retain possession and build any kind of platform in attacking areas. We'll eventually resort to hopeful long-balls over the top, which will achieve nothing, and the game will drift to a dull 0-0 draw.

Then on here divs will be explaining how the front two's 'movement' was first class, and it was all down to poor 'delivery'.

You're welcome.

Is this a comment about the size, strength, quality of Wilson and Baldock, or some combination? FWIW, I'm not convinced that those two will work, and both individually work better playing off and around a stronger, less mobile player -- that's certainly the case in the Championship.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

You're welcome.

Actually you are spot on and it is the obvious counter-argument to starting with Baldock and Wilson together.

I think I'm in a minority but personally I'd favour Baldock being the first striker on the team sheet if properly fit (otherwise don't rush him back) alongside either Hemed or Zamora (both started at Blackburn). I still think I'd prefer Hemed to start given Zamora is probably not up to more than 60 minutes after playing 73 minutes at Blackburn.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Is this a comment about the size, strength, quality of Wilson and Baldock, or some combination? FWIW, I'm not convinced that those two will work, and both individually work better playing off and around a stronger, less mobile player -- that's certainly the case in the Championship.

Correct. About their strength, specifically.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
For me there is only 1 possible selection

Stockdale
Bruno...Goldson....Dunk...Ridgewelll
Knockhaert....Kayal....Stephens....Murphy
Hemed...Zamora

Subs:Maenpaa. Baldock. Lua Lua. Wilson, Towell Greer Calderon

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Haven't been impressed with Murphy recently (about 6 weeks to be honest). Must be time to start LuaLua again!

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Baldock 10% record of scoring in 90 minutes of play 20% chance of being involved in a goal (like a miskick ruled as an assist)
3.4 SPG 1 shots on target. 33% accuracy.

14 appearances with 2 goals, 2 assists
1 sub appearances with 0 goals

Total: 2 goals (Championship only)

1 goals at home, 1 away.

1 in the first half, 1 goals in the second half.

Solly March 20% chance of scoring per 90 minutes. 30% chance of being involved in a goal.
Dale Stephens 20% chance of scoring per 90 minutes*. 40% chance of being involved in a goal. (* More if he was credited with the free kick instead of Hemed.)
Jamie Murphy 20% chance of scoring per 90 minutes. 40% chance of being involved in a goal.

Only Bobby Zamora of our dedicated goalscorers have scored from coming on as substitute, even the early ones.

Lualua has won us 8 extra points with his goals and Zamora an extra 4 pts. Not on the pitch together.

Hemed has the most shots per game. He must get in the best positions 2.6 compared to Zamora 2.2. inside the penaltyarea and goal area. Baldock 2.1. Lualua 1.6.

cf: Blackman had a 50% chance of scoring per 90 minites whilst playing for Reading. Scores most with his left foot playing wide right.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here