Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Burns night

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
I was made aware today that my mother in law (71) is having a Burns night - where she will serve up traditional Scottish food in celebration of the famous scotch poet and lyricist (despite her living in Surrey, and none of her family members having come from north of the border).

It then occured to me that there were various other days during the year where the English celebrated other non-english famous people, St Patricks Day, Roald Dahl day amongst others, and yet our approach to St Georges Day is usually met with a certain dismissive attitude.

Maybe what we need is a distinct discerning Englishman/woman (dead or alive) who we can recognise as the figurehead of our patriotism (rather than some bloke who rode a horse and whipped a big lizard) and then offer up suitable celebration of his/her achievements and tailor the new "English Day" to them.

What do the good old folk of NSC say to that?

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Wasn't St George also non English?

It would be great to have a day we could really celebrate Englishness however it would be hijacked by the far right and far left. Obviously for opposing reasons

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
David Attenborough Day?

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Has to be 'Terry Day'

280full.jpg

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
St Alban was the first English Martyr.

dennis

Aug 1, 2007
Cornwall
Lemmy Day

Everyone has to have a bottle of Jack Daniels for breakfast and it really doesn't matter what happens after that

dennis

Aug 1, 2007
Cornwall
Lemmy Day

Everyone gets up and drinks a bottle of Jack Daniels for breakfast and then it really doesn't matter what happens after that

Jimmy Come Lately

Registered Loser
Oct 27, 2011
Hove
Would it be worth you lads making more of a deal of St George's Day being the anniversary of Shakespeare's death? While Burns is, um, a fine poet, there's a lot more choice in the Shakespeare corpus. If you wanted to have a patriotic celebration, or a bawdy one, or romantic, or philosophical, or even downbeat and fatalistic, you'd be able to find half a dozen readings to suit.

Bit of roast beef, loads of booze, a few readings from Shakespeare -- it would be like a Burns supper done well.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I'm going to a Burn's Night bash tonight at the social club of a local prison.
I'd better behave or will not make it out.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here