Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

iOS9 and iPad Air 1

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Afternoon,

My iPad Air (two years old) still runs with OS7. I have no immediate reason to upgrade... apart from the rumoured improved battery life, snazzy improvements etc, and being able to install apps, more and more of which require at least iOS8.

I remember trying out iOS8 last year but downgraded back to 7 as I felt the iPad had become ever so slightly laggy. And enough to annoy me.

I'm going to *have* to upgrade at some point I know - from your experiences, are the inevitable changes in speed going to be less imperceptible than I fear, or should I start saving up now for a new device somewhere down the line?

Ta

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
How did you manage to downgrade from 8 to 7? I want to downgrade both of my older iPads to a previous version of iOS but everywhere I look I'm told it isn't possible.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
How did you manage to downgrade from 8 to 7? I want to downgrade both of my older iPads to a previous version of iOS but everywhere I look I'm told it isn't possible.

out of interest, what are you looking to downgrade back to? My iPad Air has always been on iOS 8 but I've been toying with upgrading to 9. Clearly i wont if feedback says it's shite....

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town

I'd like to do this on my wifes Ipad 3 (I think it ) She is moaning how slow it is on the latest.

My Air 2 runs perfectly on IOS 9.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I'd like to do this on my wifes Ipad 3 (I think it ) She is moaning how slow it is on the latest.

My Air 2 runs perfectly on IOS 9.

I think sometimes it's how much free space is left on the tablets - my iPad2 was running slow, but only had 900mb free space. I deleted a load of stuff off it so it was more like 2gb free and straight away it was quicker.
Also, getting into settings:
1. Turn off Spotlight searching everything, it can just search the things you need it to.
2. Background App refresh - uncheck all the apps you really don't need refreshing
3. Turn off notifications of anything you don't use.
4. Delete apps you don't use regularly - you can always put them back on. i.e. I had flightscanner, easy jet apps but I'm only generally looking for flights once a year. I'll load them back on at a later date.
5. Keep more stuff in the cloud. If you have wifi at home, free up space by only having photos you need on the iPad - sync everything else.

Can make a difference streamlining it all down.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
I think sometimes it's how much free space is left on the tablets - my iPad2 was running slow, but only had 900mb free space. I deleted a load of stuff off it so it was more like 2gb free and straight away it was quicker.
Also, getting into settings:
1. Turn off Spotlight searching everything, it can just search the things you need it to.
2. Background App refresh - uncheck all the apps you really don't need refreshing
3. Turn off notifications of anything you don't use.
4. Delete apps you don't use regularly - you can always put them back on. i.e. I had flightscanner, easy jet apps but I'm only generally looking for flights once a year. I'll load them back on at a later date.
5. Keep more stuff in the cloud. If you have wifi at home, free up space by only having photos you need on the iPad - sync everything else.

Can make a difference streamlining it all down.

Thanks will give it a go if I can get hold of her device in between facebook messaging and video watching :)

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK

A few days after each iOS release, the new and old ones 'overlap', meaning Apple's servers will accept both being installed/uninstalled. ie. You can't now. This, from howtogeek.com...

**Restore Using an IPSW
Apple only allows you to load “signed” firmware images, or versions of iOS, onto its devices. Apple generally stops signing the previous version of iOS a few days after a new version is released.

This means that it’s often possible to downgrade back to your previous version of iOS for a few days after you upgrade — assuming the latest version was just released and you upgraded to it quickly.

To do this, you’ll need an .ipsw file. These may be stored on your computer if you used iTunes to upgrade to them, but they’re regularly deleted to free up space. You’ll probably need to download the IPSW file from a website like IPSW.me. Remember: You can only restore iOS images marked as signed. If the version of iOS you want to restore is marked as unsigned, you just can’t restore it.

Once it’s downloaded, connect your iPhone or iPad to your computer and open iTunes. Click over to the device’s page in iTunes.

On a Mac, hold down the Option key and click the “Restore iPhone” or “Restore iPad” button. On a Windows PC, hold down the Shift key and click the “Restore iPhone” or “Restore iPad” button. You’ll see a file browser dialog — browse to the downloaded .ipsw file and double-click it to restore that specific version of iOS to your device.**

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here