Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Confirmed - No Shoreham airshow this year

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Surely the right decision. The question is, can it really ever go ahead again? I think most people would feel uneasy with it.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-35364481

Sensible and expected decision ...maybe it will be held in the future but just in a different format ..a heck of a lot of money is raised for a good cause, but obviously they will have to be sensitive to the loved ones of those that lost their lives

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Statistically these things happen and tragic though last years events were it has to carry on to gain some semblance of normality.

Accidents will always happen and no matter what the outcome of the investigation I feel very strongly that these things must go on.

We'll end up with such dull monotonous lives if we cancel all events like this that put people at risk.

Playing devils advocate this type of scenario might happen wherever the end of a runway happens to be adjacent to a major road.

Yes it was terrible and such a tragic loss of life but don't cancel it indefinitely.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If Shoreham is found to be less safe than all other airshow locations, then fair enough, but if it's not I don't see why it shouldn't continue in the future.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Statistically these things happen and tragic though last years events were it has to carry on to gain some semblance of normality.

Accidents will always happen and no matter what the outcome of the investigation I feel very strongly that these things must go on.

We'll end up with such dull monotonous lives if we cancel all events like this that put people at risk.

in risk management you seek to reduce the risk likelihood or impact of if possible and practical. the problem with Shoreham now is that to address impact they'll have to curtail the demonstrations greatly, which may end up a monotonous event. with so many other similar events on and nearby (Eastbourne in particular) it may be better to call it a day.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Playing devils advocate this type of scenario might happen wherever the end of a runway happens to be adjacent to a major road.

Yes it was terrible and such a tragic loss of life but don't cancel it indefinitely.

Agree with this in principle. But best wait until any inquiry (presume there is one) has concluded before holding another one.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Cancelling it this years as a mark of respect seems right and proper. No reason why it should never run again though - after all, Farnborough air show is still going and they had an even more serious disaster.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here