Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T: Heating

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I don't know how, why or what I've done to deserve this but there's an issue with our heating.

Our heating is gas fired, our boiler kicks in fine and is warm to the touch, but each rad in the house is stone cold.

I'm not at ALL good with these things, but is there anything a simpleton like me can do to diagnose the issue, or simple fixes i've not thought of? Or am I better off calling someone in to look at it?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
bleed radiators as a first thing.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I don't know how, why or what I've done to deserve this but there's an issue with our heating.

Our heating is gas fired, our boiler kicks in fine and is warm to the touch, but each rad in the house is stone cold.

I'm not at ALL good with these things, but is there anything a simpleton like me can do to diagnose the issue, or simple fixes i've not thought of? Or am I better off calling someone in to look at it?

Do you have a hot water cylinder? OR do you have a combination boiler?

If you have a cylinder do you have hot water?

MF'84

A load of Bolanos
Jul 26, 2012
Derbyshire
The Wife did this once and called out the emergency Plumber to which the answer was she'd only turned on the hot water and not the central heating :facepalm:

I'm assuming you've checked that though... :D

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Do you have a hot water cylinder? OR do you have a combination boiler?

If you have a cylinder do you have hot water?

If by 'cylinder' you mean "huge thing in the airing cupboard" then yes.

There is hot water, yeah - the radiators and the pipes connecting them are cold though.

The Wife did this once and called out the emergency Plumber to which the answer was she'd only turned on the hot water and not the central heating :facepalm:

I'm assuming you've checked that though... :D

Ha! Mrs Grombleton has spent ages in the shower this evening so if there was an issue with the hot water I would have been shouted at about it :lolol:

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
What type of boiler - Combi or Boiler/Cylinder/Tanks in Roof?

If later, could be pump/two way/three way valve seized up/air in system/no water in header tank because ball-valve stuck up - just a few to be going on with:ohmy:

Whoops took me so long to type BN9 BHA got in!

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
If by 'cylinder' you mean "huge thing in the airing cupboard" then yes.

There is hot water, yeah - the radiators and the pipes connecting them are cold though.

Ha! Mrs Grombleton has spent ages in the shower this evening so if there was an issue with the hot water I would have been shouted at about it :lolol:

Yes the hot water cylinder is " the huge thing in the airing cupboard " :)
( I have a feeling some pictures may come in handy ) :whistle:

Next question do you have one of these?
3 port valve AKA Motorised valve or a 3 way valve
image.jpg

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Yes the hot water cylinder is " the huge thing in the airing cupboard " :)
( I have a feeling some pictures may come in handy ) :whistle:

Next question do you have one of these?
3 port valve AKA Motorised valve or a 3 way valve
View attachment 71685

I can see one of those, yes! Pictures are good - I can build a website but i'm shite when it comes to anything DIY :(

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I can see one of those, yes! Pictures are good - I can build a website but i'm shite when it comes to anything DIY :(

When the boiler is running the pipe going to the inlet ( middle connection marked A B ) should be hot, the connection marked B should have a pipe running to the hot water cylinder, this should also be hot.

Connection A is for the radiators , if the pipe from this is not hot, this could be your problem.
NOTE- This pipe may feel hot next to the 3- port valve, but if you follow the pipe away from the valve it will be cooler.

Obviously you will have to have your heating controller/ timer on constant hot water and heating to try this.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Nope - I think he found it cheaper to move:moo:

I had to live in Littlehampton as there were fewer cheaper alternatives :p

It seems the heating has sorted itself out and was warming the rads fine the next day - could it be a one off, or an intermittent fault of something that needs fixing?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I had to live in Littlehampton as there were fewer cheaper alternatives :p

It seems the heating has sorted itself out and was warming the rads fine the next day - could it be a one off, or an intermittent fault of something that needs fixing?

I sent a telepathic message to your 3-port valve to fix it.
That will be £300 please :)

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I sent a telepathic message to your 3-port valve to fix it.
That will be £300 please :)

I've got a contact who is the Prince of Nigeria, he'll be in touch about payment. :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here