Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

More Away Games than Home Games - Am I Unique?

MF'84

A load of Bolanos
Jul 26, 2012
Derbyshire
Having read in another thread about 'real fans' attending / not attending matches it got me thinking about my own situation.

I have no problem in admitting that I only went to the Goldstone a few times (mid-90's would have been the first game at 10 / 11 years of age), never to Gillingham, only a few times to Withdean and even now only a few times to the Amex but since moving to Derbyshire in 2003 I've been to many, many away games (prior to that the only 'away' game being the play-off final in Cardiff).

Post-relocation I've been on multiple trips to Derby, Forest, Birmingham, Leicester, both Sheffield clubs, Leeds, Wolves and the odd trip to Cardiff, Villa, Wigan, Blackburn, Barnsley, Bolton and Burton.

I think that attending more away games than home games would be fairly unique amongst our fan base? This is no doubt very uninteresting to anyone else but you never know..! :smile:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Having read in another thread about 'real fans' attending / not attending matches it got me thinking about my own situation.

I have no problem in admitting that I only went to the Goldstone a few times (mid-90's would have been the first game at 10 / 11 years of age), never to Gillingham, only a few times to Withdean and even now only a few times to the Amex but since moving to Derbyshire in 2003 I've been to many, many away games (prior to that the only 'away' game being the play-off final in Cardiff).

Post-relocation I've been on multiple trips to Derby, Forest, Birmingham, Leicester, both Sheffield clubs, Leeds, Wolves and the odd trip to Cardiff, Villa, Wigan, Blackburn, Barnsley, Bolton and Burton.

I think that attending more away games than home games would be fairly unique amongst our fan base? This is no doubt very uninteresting to anyone else but you never know..! :smile:

Not the only one chap.
I grew up going watching the Albion at the Goldstone, a few times at Gillingham and Withdean.
Moving to the London area with my job has restricted my visits to the Amex.
But where I live, gives me the oppurtunity to see a lot of away games in the vicinity, including MK Dons, Reading, Watford, Brentford, QPR, Charlton, Millwall, Palarse and West Ham over the years.
It all counts :albion2:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Without doing an exact count, I think I may be another. When living in Liverpool I used to watch the Albion at places like Tranmere, Preston, Oldham and (well, it was a while back) Southport. Mind you, in those days I used to hitch-hike down to The Goldstone quite a bit too.
Since living in Gloucester, I've certainly seen more away matches - Bristol, Hereford, Swindon, Cheltenham, Birmingham. All these are PotG too, which along with family and health reasons, is a significant factor in my football watching. Now that I understand that it is now sometimes possible to ramp up to the Amex on a match day and buy a ticket, I'm hoping to break my Amex duck in the not too distant future.

It all counts :albion2:
Absolutely!

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I've definitely done more away games than home. I went to Gillingham 4 times and Withdean about 6, but went to loads of northern away games in those 14 seasons.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Afraid not. Having left Brighton in the mid 70's I've attended many many more away games than home. Even as a season ticket holder it's a close run thing as I go to all games in the midlands, north west and West Country.
Chatting to fans on my travels there are a surprising number in the same position.

Yorkshire-Seagull

Feb 11, 2008
Same here. I've lived in Leeds for the last 15 years, so the high-volume of northern away games has outweighed my occasional trips down south.

Shuggie

Sep 19, 2003
East Sussex coast
1 home and 4 away so far this season. 3 of each to come including Mbro.To add another slant to the OP's question, my total travel distance for the season will be about 50,000 miles ... anyone going further?

OGH's Libido

Nov 30, 2014
Me too. Moved away from Sussex when I was 11, but was too late. That was my club. I'd guess I've been to 5 times as many away games. Must admit I thought I was the only one!

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
Whilst we are very lucky to live on the English Costa del Sol it does make most away games a bloody long way. Didn't someone put up earlier that we have to travel the furthest in the championship.

el punal

You're a very lucky fellah! The way the trains have been running lately for home games any away fixture is an absolute doddle.

Still, once an Albion fan always an Albion fan - home or away! :albion2:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here