Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

***WHC IX 2nd round: game 5***

Hardest beast?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
This one should be a real doozy of a contest. I don't envy you the responsiblity of voting in this one. It's arguably the tie of the round. On the one hand we have the WHC VII champion and on the other a small, vicious beast who is basically custom made for the tournament. One of these is going home. In the second round. That's far too early for both of these contenders so there should be some real hard arguing and convincing going on. Get your photos, videos, facts and anything else you do battle with ready because herecomes....

Mantis Shrimp

mantis-shrimp2.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mantis_shrimp

WHC IX performance:

Group A: 1st 32 votes (23.88%)

The mantis shrimp came from nowhere in WHC VII to claim the title in possibly the fiercest fought, most hotly disputed WHC final ever. He couldn't repeat the trick in WHC VIII but his performance in 2014 was enough to draw the battle lines. You either love the little fella or hate him.

If, for some reason, you have no idea who or what the mantis shrimp is, let me give you a brief summary: he's basically a super hero(or villain). Seriously. He has super powers. He strikes so fast with his claws that he creates lightning(well, light) and a shock wave that is so powerful it is able to kill his intended victim. The shock wave is rarely needed as his claws are more than enough to destroy you with one hit. He hits so hard he has been known to break his aquarium glass.

Vs

Wolverine

34c46a3f319eb6c3b896a676bc59752e.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolverine

WHC IX performance:

Group B: 1st 30 votes (28.3%)

So, I've just claimed that the mantis shrimp has super powers. Well, his opponent is so hard he has a superhero named and styled after him. Wolverine is perfectly designed for this competition: small but heavily muscled he is disproportionately strong for his size. He is a ferocious beast who takes on and kills animals many times his size-it has even been reported that he's taken on bears. In short he doesn't back down, is crazy strong with a ferocity beyond his size and will fight anyone.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Wolverine every time - its a kind of junior Mellivora Capensis, although strictly speaking not in the same subfamily, so a worthy contender for me. A word of caution on this one though.......the Shrimp is known to have a number of supporters in the Mod community so we need to be on the lookout for multiple accounts, hastily convened new accounts and plain downright Modskullduggery - I don't trust the mods in this "competition", and one or two in particular (YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE!!) - there's been far too many questionable shrimp based poll results in the past for my liking......RATEL RULES!!!!!!!

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
If the prawn was an international football team it would be Greece

Or England

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
The shrimp ENJOYS dismembering it's prey.....for the SHEER FUN OF IT.

They enjoy RITUALISED FIGHTING

This thing will attack because it LOVES causing pain.

The DOGGY growls a little and needs his mates to help him.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
The shrimp ENJOYS dismembering it's prey.....for the SHEER FUN OF IT.

They enjoy RITUALISED FIGHTING

This thing will attack because it LOVES causing pain.

The DOGGY growls a little and needs his mates to help him.

Sorry mate - looks like the Mods have withdrawn their support for the shrimp and moved on - maybe you should too - can I suggest that the Mellivora Capensis might be of some interest to you?

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Mantis Shrimp appears to be going the same way as the Black Mamba. A one season wonder, but what a season. I7m surprised more people aren't impressed by the shrimps supreme powers....then again he is up against the honey badgers harder brother...

Stumpy Tim

I would normally be all over this to help the Shrimp, but the wolverine is a fine competitor. The shrimps punching power should really be enough here, but the feeling persists that for most they're a one-season wonder. Maybe this is the year of the wolverine

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Wolverine. Time to bring the shrimp down.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
This is good, I was a big fan of the Mantis Shrimp's PLUCKY UNDERDOG story in 2014, but he's had his moment in the spotlight. Rapidly turning into the Blackburn Rovers of WHC.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here