Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Transformer

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It's interesting but given the lifestyle of musicians back then the most surprising thing to me is how so many of them survived into their 60s!

I love Transformer btw.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Herbie Flowers is still young and kicking in Ditchling. Still playing at the Ropetackle in Shoreham and various venues around Brighton. He is still very young at heart. The article says the aging Hebie Flowers. But he is full of life.

Having written and played the Bass line for Walk on the Wildside he was not bit player by any means.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I'm not sure what the road to Damascus experience is that is being described?

Anyhow, agree that Transformer is brilliant. I wonder how brilliant it would have been without Bowie? We'll never know.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It's interesting but given the lifestyle of musicians back then the most surprising thing to me is how so many of them survived into their 60s!

Totally agree. Reed made it to his 70s, that must be a medical miracle. Have to agree with the others who ask what the big revelation is: has the OP only just discovered this album or only just found out that Bowie had something to do with it.

I like Transformer but IMHO, Reed's real masterpiece is Berlin. Transformer is a collection of good songs, Berlin is a work of real genius

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I bought it in 1972 and everyone was well aware of the part Bowie played in it - in fact it was trumpeted from the rooftops, I seem to recall.

And it's timeless. Love listening to it still.

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
My “realisation” was simple, that with Bowie’s death it meant the entire team of musicians behind Transformer (with the exception of Herbie Flowers) were now dead. I had been so wrapped up in Bowie’s death that I had overlooked this until today.
Mick Ronson was the principal producer and arranger of Transformer. Bowie chipped in too, but was mainly there for his creativity. I interviewed Mick in 1988, he was my guitar hero and a truly lovely down to earth self-effacing guy and in many ways his death five years later hit me harder than Bowie’s, because he was so young.
Just a share anyway by an old guy with happy memories of the early 1970s.

Bracknell_Gull

Jul 4, 2011
Bracknell
many moons ago I purchased this book which described the whole Andy Warhol & The Factory scene in depth and the effect it had on Bowie, Lou Reed & Iggy Pop and their music around this time.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6587920-your-pretty-face-is-going-to-hell (I hope this link is acceptable, I didn't want to link to an online book seller)

As an aside for the OP you might be interested to know Bowie also had a hand in The Stooges Raw Power album (which contains the song which gave this excellent read its title)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As much as I enjoy Transformer, I've always felt New York was the very best Reed album.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
As much as I enjoy Transformer, I've always felt New York was the very best Reed album.

Agree with this but i also liked his "Rock and Roll Animal" Live album - I saw him live with that band at Imperial College and they were pretty damn good

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here