Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

British Sniper Faces Legal Probe After Shooting Insurgent...

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
British Sniper Faces Legal Probe After Shooting Insurgent.

A sniper in the British Army is reportedly to be investigated for firing on an Iraqi insurgent who was about to launch an RPG at a British base.
The soldier has come under scrutiny from the Iraq Historic Allegations Team (IHAT) for not 'shouting a warning' before firing, according to a number of national newspapers.

UK Veterans - One Voice, a pressure group based in the UK representing former soldiers, brought details of the reported investigation to the public.
The IHAT has been accused of fronting a 'witch-hunt' against British soldiers who served in Iraq as it investigates allegations of unlawful killings and torture.

David Cameron has expressed his "deep concern" at the prospect of British veterans of the Iraq War facing persistent threats of prosecution years after the conflict ended.

Forces TV's audience, meanwhile, voted overwhelmingly in favour of imposing a time limit on soldier-prosecutions.
The story, which does not include any details of when or where the incident occurred, focuses on a British base which was the subject of repeated attacks by an individual over a period of weeks.
The attacker was allegedly armed with an RPG and habitually targeted the British base after Friday prayers.

Soldiers are reported to have been warned not to return fire for fear of harming bystanders who gathered to watch the event after leaving their local mosque.
The following Thursday, with the base having been the subject of further RPG attacks from the same insurgent, a patrol unit with a sniper attached allegedly targeted the individual before his regular attack took place.
“As the insurgent’s finger tightened on the trigger of the RPG, a single shot cracked out,” says the account.
“The round flew almost 1,200 metres across the face of the crowd missing them safely. The RPG jumped unfired into the air and the insurgent’s body briefly flew across the ground having been hit by a veteran of long military service, a graduate of the Army Sniper School.”
Because the distance between the sniper and his target was so great, a warning would have been ineffective, according to the pressure group.

Oh yeah.... "Stop.... don't shoot that RPG at us please"

That will work....

Maybe just Maybe that would work in a Utopian society were both sides respected that law, however you would not be killing each other in a Utopian society ..... Fact we don't live in such a happy clappy society & they don't shout out warning's or leave billboards where IED's are hiden.... feck em...... Shoot away

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
I thought snipers were supposed to be covert, blend into the surroundings as if they were not there. Shouting out to the intended target seems to defeat the point.

Our Armed Forces get sent to all these hostile places and then have to worry about this crap. Unbelievable.

I wonder who'll be the first self loather to come on here and defend this decision by the IHAT ???

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Its absolute ridiculous that these guys / girls have to go through this farcical events.
They are paid to do a job to protect the likes of us, so FFS leave them alone to do their job.
Its PC gone wrong again :tosser:

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
British Forces will seen be expected to see of the enemy like this

Send in The Devils in Skirts!

khyber1.jpg

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
lol@self loathers. What a ridiculous comment.

Trooper just needs to say he gave a warning, however the 1200 meter distance made it difficult to hear.

Randsta

Aug 8, 2011
Eastbourne
Its absolute ridiculous that these guys / girls have to go through this farcical events.
They are paid to do a job to protect the likes of us, so FFS leave them alone to do their job.
Its PC gone wrong again :tosser:

Iraq war was nothing about "protecting us" ......we shouldn't have been there, end of!!!

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Unlikely to be the full story.

The benefits of an extent of "policing" in military situations to outlaw criminal activity must surely be accepted by most?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
This is a strange state of affairs. Members of the Aussie forces (family) were certainly given the impresssion that both they and other members of the Allied forces in Iraq would not be subject to some of the more daft rules that can come from above. That is not too say that they would be immune from prosecution if the Geneva convention was to be broken, but that some of the sillier rules of engagement would have a blind eye turned to their implementation.

This topic was discussed over Xmas funnily enough.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Strange Clint Eastwood directs a film celebrating the skills of an American Sniper and we look to bring charges against a British sniper for doing his job.

I always thought that the aim of the sniper was to remain concealed and to kill with one shot.

What next a big sign with an arrow pointing down saying 'Warning Snipers operating in this area'

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
You there! Yes you! , no not you madame the chap next to you with the RPG!

I must say in the strongest possible terms that you need to put it down and move away from the area! ......................see you next Friday!

Man%20with%20Megaphone.jpg

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
...I'm going to shoot you...
what?
...I said, put the rpg down!
you're going to bring a cup of tea down?
...FFS, I'm going to fire at you
I can't hear...you're going to hire me?
...Look, come a bit closer then you can hear me.
Okay, also a bit better for my rpg range
...So, if you don't put that down, I'm going to shoot you
But you just told me to come closer with it?
...Yeah, so you can hear me tell you I'm going to shoot you
Why didn't you just shoot me over there and save all this hassle?
...Because I have to give you a warning.
Right I see, I wish I'd just fired my rpg from over there now
...yes, but then I'd be in trouble for shooting you.
Good point, anyway, I'm aiming it now so you best get on with it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here