Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion boss hailed a "miracle" worker [The Argus]

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
Chris Hughton has performed a “miracle” to turn Albion back into promotion contenders.
That is the verdict of Ian Holloway, who wrecked the Seagulls’ Premier League dream three years ago.
Albion are back up to fifth in the Championship after Saturday’s first win in eight league games at Blackburn.
Manager turned Sky pundit Holloway, in charge of Crystal Palace when they knocked Albion out of the play-offs in 2012-13, said: “What Chris Hughton has done this season is a miracle.
“Having won the title before at this level (with Newcastle), his experience will be massive over the next few months.
“I don’t judge people on just football, I take into account their human nature and Chris is a wonderful bloke. He’s always immaculate and tries his hardest with everything that he does. His values are spot on.
“If you stopped a Brighton fan in the street and asked them whether they’d taken this league position at the half-way stage, they would have snapped your hand off. The fans must look at it from that point of view and not get too down.”
Holloway, speaking on sky sports.com, added: “A few injuries have killed their charge. They don’t have enough options in their squad to deal with losing players like Liam Rosenior, Solly March and Kazenga LuaLua.
“They haven’t got the riches of the Premier League parachute payment money to dip into like Hull. Also, their goal difference is very low, that shows they’re probably overachieving.”
Alan Curbishley expects Albion, unbeaten in 21 league games before the recent nosedive in results, to finish fifth or sixth.
The former Seagulls midfielder and Charlton chief told bwin.com: “Sadly for Brighton, I think the table has corrected itself.
“When you’re looking for Championship winners and those teams that go up automatically, you look for games when the opposition are smashed off the park.
“Chris Hughton’s side had a fantastic run, but they never turned anyone over and I think that is one of the tell-tale signs that they might fall away – there’s only so many Bobby Zamora winners you can bank in a season!
“That said, you don’t put a run together like that, especially in a league as competitive as the Championship, without being a good side.
“I’m expecting Derby County and Middlesbrough to pull clear later in the season, with Hull and Burnley just behind. That leaves two play-off spots and Brighton should be able to nab one of them.”

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here