Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] FriendsReunited to close

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I wonder where the age line gets drawn in terms of who remembers FriendsReunited, the pre-Facebook Facebook and those who don't.

Today, the site has announced it will be closing. I suspect many of those who did use it in the early 2000s didn't even know it was still alive until they read this.

As an aside, the two younger people in their logo are good friends of mine, and it was friends of theirs who started the site and subsequently sold it to ITV for c£175m in 2005.

FriendsReunited.jpg

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
I got the announcement by email today... apparently my account is still active despite not logging in in perhaps 7+ years!

I suspect many of those who did use it in the early 2000s didn't even know it was still alive until they read this.

Absolutely this. I thought it had died many years ago!

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
Bozza

If I write a begging letter - will you pass it onto your friends' friends for me please?

The letter would not be from me of course - but a "friend" of mine :)

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I wonder where the age line gets drawn in terms of who remembers FriendsReunited, the pre-Facebook Facebook and those who don't.

Today, the site has announced it will be closing. I suspect many of those who did use it in the early 2000s didn't even know it was still alive until they read this.

As an aside, the two younger people in their logo are good friends of mine, and it was friends of theirs who started the site and subsequently sold it to ITV for c£175m in 2005.

View attachment 71630
Another great business deal by ITV there.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Ah well, there is always MySpace I suppose.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

View attachment 71630

Spot on. It was great at the time, I hooked up with several old schoolfriends, and it also allowed us to get a much better attendance at a reunion.

TimWatt

Feb 13, 2011
Richmond
Was fun for a bit around the early 2000s (a decent Cardinal Newman reunion resulted) before they started to censor reminiscences about teachers and charge £5 to read messages.

Remember, if you use Facebook you are the product.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Sadly yes, I'm old enough to have joined it very early on - in it's day it was a really decent site.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Now the question is, how many sexual liaisons did it spawn? Certainly allowed a few people I know to do things they only dreamed about when they were 14

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now

View attachment 71630

Is the other couple you and Mrs B then ???

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Now the question is, how many sexual liaisons did it spawn? Certainly allowed a few people I know to do things they only dreamed about when they were 14

Score the winning goal for BHAFC in the Cup Final?

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland

That's me.

I'm 31, if that helps with age line drawing.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Score the winning goal for BHAFC in the Cup Final?

No names no pack drill

But sometimes it went to a replay, sometimes it was a short cameo performance but on a soggy pitch it's not always bad to come second

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
No names no pack drill

But sometimes it went to a replay, sometimes it was a short cameo performance but on a soggy pitch it's not always bad to come second

I wonder how many marriages were ended by Friends Reunited.

By the way [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION], did your friends get any money for having their likeness used on the logo?

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro

Tempted to sell NSC for a fortune Bozza?

Had an email from them last night, I'd forgotten I'd ever signed up for it so long ago. Have at least one friend whose marriage was wrecked by it!

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Crazy, Being a young pup I never used it as by the time I went to Uni we had Facebook and stayed in touch with people by there, now we use Whatsapp to avoid seeing all the drivel people post about their pets or babies.

However both parents used it and loved it. I am surprised it is closing as there is still (in my view) a demographic of people that are caught between the Facebook era and this. Maybe a re launch could have worked.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
An inevitable conclusion, but sad nonetheless. Friends Reunited enabled me to get in touch with one or people I'd never have been able to have tracked down until the advent of Facebook, one of whom is very special to me to this day.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Glad they sold it when they did then :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here