Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Government introducing levy on foreign players

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I see that the government is to introduce a levy on skilled migrants from outside the EU.

Football clubs will have no problem about paying this - a £1000 is going to be nothing to them.That attitude may change if the chancellor decides that the levy becomes a percentage of that migrant's income though: imagine Man City having to pay 5%, say, of Aguero or Toure's wages.

It's a bonkers measure for the rest of economy, however. The area that I know about (IT and high tech) employs large numbers of foreign workers because they simply can't find enough people with the right skills here.

Why is a 'party of business' putting a tax on companies, hindering their competitiveness? Seems crazy to me

KingstonSeagull

May 1, 2013
Shoreditch
Why is a 'party of business' putting a tax on companies, hindering their competitiveness?

A number of reasons.

1. Influence jobs for British people, put British people first.
2. As you say it is not a huge amount so companies will pay it.
3. Balance the books....

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Why is a 'party of business' putting a tax on companies, hindering their competitiveness?

A number of reasons.

3. Balance the books....

End of thread.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

A number of reasons.

3. Balance the books....

I said it's not a huge amount to football clubs, it's a big amount to a tech start-up. And I'm sure many would like to recruit British techies but there aren't enough about.

And would it really balance the books? If a company has hired all its development team from India, that £10 to £12000 a year could make it uncompetitive, forcing that firm under or, more likely, relocating elsewhere and losing a good deal more than £10000 a year on tax.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I said it's not a huge amount to football clubs, it's a big amount to a tech start-up. And I'm sure many would like to recruit British techies but there aren't enough about.

There's plenty of British techies in the start up scene here.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP

Plenty about, they are lured abroad by better wages.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
It will be interesting to see if that will also be applied to on-shoring.

When I worked at Virgin Atlantic, TCS would regularly bring staff from India over for a year or so on development, then send them back and send some more over. They were not paid a decent salary as they were officially based in India, and they usually rented a property locally and had 7/8 people living under the same roof to keep the living costs down. It was a good way for them to train staff, but pay them naff all compared to local resource, and therefore charge relatively low man-day costs.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I see that the government is to introduce a levy on skilled migrants from outside the EU.

Football clubs will have no problem about paying this - a £1000 is going to be nothing to them.That attitude may change if the chancellor decides that the levy becomes a percentage of that migrant's income though: imagine Man City having to pay 5%, say, of Aguero or Toure's wages.

It's a bonkers measure for the rest of economy, however. The area that I know about (IT and high tech) employs large numbers of foreign workers because they simply can't find enough people with the right skills here.

Why is a 'party of business' putting a tax on companies, hindering their competitiveness? Seems crazy to me
Seems a perfectly good idea to me.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

it is daft, seems like kite flying to me.

on this point, the problems is insufficient wages or unrealistic skills. if you are a startup you might need to allow developers and admins a few months to learn, you wont find them with 5 years experience of 4 year old technologies.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here