Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Joe Bennett

owlsonlineadmin

Jul 22, 2010
Morning

Seems like we are getting the lad in on loan, is he any good, you lot had him last season so thought I'd ask.

Cheers

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Mixed bag. Better going forward than defending. Clearly got ability but didn't seem quite the full package when he had him.

Worth bearing in mind he was playing in a terrible Albion side, so may turn out better for you lot.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Poor defensively, ok going forward but for the positions he gets into should bag more goals & assists. I think the fact that Villa aren't giving him a chance in the situation they're in probably indicates he's not brilliant. Might be able to forge a career as a mediocre Championship player.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
A very, very poor defender.

A lot of the goals we conceded last year were down his side.

That said, our entire squad felt utter gash with hyypia at the helm. Gardner has apparently been a semi decent player at forest so there is every chance joe Bennett isn't actually that bad.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Good going forward but can lose the ball easily.

Terrible defender, the worst LB I've seen in a long time. In fact I'm loathed to refer to him as a defender cause he cant defend.

Nice hair though.....

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Chris Hughton was a left back, if the lad does come back, I'm sure Chris will whip him into shape.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Not the strongest defender but pretty quick and enjoys pushing up. Might do well in a stronger team than the one we were lumbered with last year.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Poor defender and I can't understand why people thought he was good going forward. The number of times he got past his fullback at the Amex could be counted on the foot of a two toed sloth.

Redeeming feature - he was in a crap team and couldn't do any worse, could he ???

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Given what we were like last season, it feels a little bit unfair to judge what we saw.

However as others have said, his strength did seem to be going forward to the point that it felt like left midfield, and not left-back, was a more natural position for him.

He has ridiculously quick feet.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Good on the ball and could be useful with midfield cover. Seemed to have a good attitude but was a player who had moved too soon from championship ( Middlesbrough ) to Premier League.

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
He would boom forward and then get caught out of posistion. Could have been down to the way Hyppia wanted us to play.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Agree with the sentiment that he was far stronger going forward than defensively.

However, he more than anyone suffered from the ridiculous system that Hyypia played in the first half of the season. He was encouraged to spend most of his time in the opposition half but wasn't covered and then blamed when we leaked goals down that side. In a more sensible tactical approach, with a winger mindful of his defensive responsibilities in front of him I see no reason why he couldn't be a decent left back at this level.

Bear in mind also, that prior to Bennett turning up we'd been a bit spoilt at left back with Bridge and Ward. Some of our judgement may be a comparison against those 2.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here