Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Whitehawk FC

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Whitehawk have annoucned they've registered with the FA their intention to change their name to 'Brighton City FC' for next season.

This is in spite of the FA knocking them back once for an attempted change to 'Brighton & Hove City FC', and the name change not being popular with their fans who, for the most part, want to retain the name 'Whitehawk FC'.

Not good.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Silly boys.

Given the FA's previous reluctance, why would they change their mind? I don't see what it's meant to achieve. People in Brighton & Hove aren't suddenly going to think "Ooooh, you know what I fancy? A trip to Brighton City FC. I'd never have gone before, when they were scruffy Whitehawk, but now it's Brighton City, well that's a whole different ball game".

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Ridiculous.

Brighton isn't a City.

If you MUST change your name, change it to something like 'East Brighton Football Club'. It sounds decent and BHA (and FA) wouldn't give a shit.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I've no problem with it, but if their supporters hate it, then why bother.

As Edna says, I hardly see ticket sales going through the roof.

That said, if they plumped for something like 'Brighton United' then so what? Puts the city on the map if they have another cup run etc.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
tumblr_ljq77svYwA1qavmeoo1_500.gif

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Can't help feeling they're setting themselves up to fail if this goes through. Echoes of previous non-league clubs in Sussex who've changed their names in an effort to advance. They've almost always realised in the end that there simply wasn't the appetite for it, even back in the days when there was only one Sussex club in the Football League, and they played in front of 7,000 for home games.

Remember Stamco? Then Stamcroft St Leonards, then St Leonards FC (I think). Got a bit of lottery money, tried to move up the pyramid, failed, went bust. Langney Sports changed to Eastbourne Borough and seem to have survived above the County League, but haven't ever threatened to go any higher, and their crowds haven't suddenly reached the thousands because of the name change.

The attention given to Whitehawk during their recent cup run was in no small way due to their perceived quirkiness: the unusual (at least to outsiders) name, the out-there attitude of their Ultras group, the slightly rough-edged nature of the local community. Their fans seem to thrive on that. If they change to BCFC (which as a Twitter hashtag will get lost in the ether amongst Birmingham and Bristol City etc tweets), that uniqueness will be lost.

I honestly can't see the name change affecting the Albion to any great degree, but I do think this is deeply misguided by the Whitehawk powers-that-be. They risk losing the very essence of what makes them a club. Will the locals still identify with them if they go down that road?

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
If they change to BCFC (which as a Twitter hashtag will get lost in the ether amongst Birmingham and Bristol City etc tweets), that uniqueness will be lost.

Great point from a pure marketing standpoint. Whatever they change to is likely to clash with something, so no point creating that confusion and losing what brand they have.

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
Ridiculous.

Brighton isn't a City.

If you MUST change your name, change it to something like 'East Brighton Football Club'. It sounds decent and BHA (and FA) wouldn't give a shit.

All of this, East Brighton would be the best name for them, but it is a shame that they feel the need to change from Whitehawk. But what ever happens good luck to them.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Can't help feeling they're setting themselves up to fail if this goes through. Echoes of previous non-league clubs in Sussex who've changed their names in an effort to advance. They've almost always realised in the end that there simply wasn't the appetite for it, even back in the days when there was only one Sussex club in the Football League, and they played in front of 7,000 for home games.

Remember Stamco? Then Stamcroft St Leonards, then St Leonards FC
(I think). Got a bit of lottery money, tried to move up the pyramid, failed, went bust. Langney Sports changed to Eastbourne Borough and seem to have survived above the County League, but haven't ever threatened to go any higher, and their crowds haven't suddenly reached the thousands because of the name change.

The attention given to Whitehawk during their recent cup run was in no small way due to their perceived quirkiness: the unusual (at least to outsiders) name, the out-there attitude of their Ultras group, the slightly rough-edged nature of the local community. Their fans seem to thrive on that. If they change to BCFC (which as a Twitter hashtag will get lost in the ether amongst Birmingham and Bristol City etc tweets), that uniqueness will be lost.

I honestly can't see the name change affecting the Albion to any great degree, but I do think this is deeply misguided by the Whitehawk powers-that-be. They risk losing the very essence of what makes them a club. Will the locals still identify with them if they go down that road?

I get your point, but I think they had to change their name as they weren't allowed a sponsor's name in the club name at that time.

I think that was the case then.

In the case of Whitehawk, the owners are going against the wishes of the fans. I don't think the club has quite got the hang of marketing or, worse, local pride - something I'd say the fans themselves are pretty good at.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
If they wanted to express the view "look, we're actually really quite embarrassed about the area that we're based in and that we're named after", then they couldn't advertise that view any more blatantly than they're doing with all this shenanigans. Why else would they be changing it? Seems like pretty poor form.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
All of this, East Brighton would be the best name for them, but it is a shame that they feel the need to change from Whitehawk. But what ever happens good luck to them.

If Whitehawk really felt the need to have Brighton in their name, then East Brighton FC or East Brighton Hawks would have been much better. Brighton City sounds lame as f**k (in addition to it being inaccurate).

I went along to a Whitehawk game this season and it was great fun and I'd consider them again seeing as we never play on a saturday, but part of the club's appeal is it's Whitehawkness (for want of a better phrase or actual word). Whilst the club think they maybe broadening their appeal, I fear this change will do the exact opposite.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
They don't a monkey's about their fans.

If they did they'd consolidate their Conference South position, budget accordingly and improve their facilities for their existing supporters.

Instead, the facilities remain as poor as any in the league, while the club splashes out on an almost full professional side, and they won't be far off the top spenders in the division.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
I went along to a Whitehawk game this season and it was great fun and I'd consider them again seeing as we never play on a saturday, but part of the club's appeal is it's Whitehawkness (for want of a better phrase or actual word). Whilst the club think they maybe broadening their appeal, I fear this change will do the exact opposite.

We are Whitehawk
We are Whitehawk
Super Whitehawk
From Whitehawk

We like drinking
We like shouting
Whitehawk, Whitehawk
Meow, meow, meow, meow

... would have to go, for a start.

The issue is they don't have a great fan base and need to try and broaden the appeal of the club,its a matter of survival,might be a mistake but at least its some positive input into a non league sussex side,efforts have to be made to make them viable as i can't see another local fan willing to stump up £10 million a year keeping a footie club going.:moo:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here