Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

***WHC IX 2nd round: game 1***

Hardest beast?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Welcome to the knock out stages of WHC IX. From here on in things are going to get seriously tough as beasts go head to head. No second chance, win you go through, lose you go home....if you are still alive.

We are looking for hardness. The beauty of this competition is that nine years into it there are still differing opinions on what constitutes hardness. However, please think carefully before voting. This is a contest that looks for pound for pound hardness so size, while always iportant isn't everything. Just because an animal is big doesn't make it hard. Obviously it doesn't automatically mean it's not hard either but please delve behind the simple matter of beasts relative size. To be genuinely hard a beast needs a combination of factors, not least among them the ability to dish out and take punishment-the more severe(in both cases the better as far as I'm concerned), attitude-when the shit hits the fan does the beast scuttle away or stand and fight, aggression-does the beast initiate fights? So please think carefully and consider all facets of hardness before voting.

As always photos and videos are actively encouraged. A well timed picture, video or argument can drastically alter not just the tide of the match up but the competition(a.k.a the black mamba effect).

Right, that's enough waffle. This way to battle:

Orca

wild-and-free-beauty.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killer_whale

WHC IX performance:

Group D: 3rd 22 votes(18.8%)

The Orca is an ever present in WHC and it's knockout phase, going to the animal dome twice and being crowned champion once. In recent years he's struggled to make a real impact as smaller beasts have more and more come into the reckoning. Nevertheless he's a fearsome opponent combining as he does awesome size, strength and intelligence. He is the ultimate sea based apex predator and is the only competitor better known by his nickname: the killer whale.

VS

Siberian Tiger

7235410.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siberian_tiger

WHC IX performance:

Group B: 23 votes (21.7%)

The Siberian Tiger has a patchy record in the WHC but is comfortably the most successful of the cats in the tournament. He garnered one more vote in the group stage than Orca so he has to feel he has a good chance of making the quarter finals. What earned him those 23 votes? It's a big, powerful beast who possesses great agility, razor sharp teeth and bone shattering bite. He's an apex predator who is well documented to take on, kill and eat both brown and asian black bears.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Got to be the siberian tiger. It takes on far.harder opponents than Shamu and.wins.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
I've seen Tigers enter the water to have a go at other beasts, sometimes very dangerous beasts. Also acts alone, gives it the billy big bollocks alone as well , unlike the Orca who likes to take his gang everywhere with him.

I've not yet seen the Orca move on to land to dish out a bit of 'ardness.

So with that in mind, the Tiger gets my vote.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Orca has never done anything hard. Don't fully understand why it's in this competition. Got to be the Tiger.

As said above, let me know when the Orca gets out of his comfort zone for once (i.e. alone, and on land) and then we can chat "hard".

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Yep, given its propensity to take on bears, its lone wolf nature and general slyness it has to be the TABBY, sorry, I men tiger.

Orcas are big but are they hard?

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Having seen the film 'Blackfish' a couple of times orca shades this one for me.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I've seen Tigers enter the water to have a go at other beasts, sometimes very dangerous beasts. Also acts alone, gives it the billy big bollocks alone as well , unlike the Orca who likes to take his gang everywhere with him.

That's a compelling argument and you've swayed my vote sir!

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003

Orca has never done anything hard. Don't fully understand why it's in this competition. Got to be the Tiger.

As said above, let me know when the Orca gets out of his comfort zone for once (i.e. alone, and on land) and then we can chat "hard".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJ7Af8FDIqI

The orca gladiator (a synonym for the orca) purposely and dangerously beaches itself in order catch prey, fighting its natural instincts to stay in the safety of the water. This technique takes years to master and the orca risks killing itself every time it carries out this technique. HARD.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

The orca gladiator (a synonym for the orca) purposely and dangerously beaches itself in order catch prey, fighting its natural instincts to stay in the safety of the water. This technique takes years to master and the orca risks killing itself every time it carries out this technique. HARD.

It's doing that to hunt a tiny little seal. Any evidence an Orca has gone after a Walrus in the same way? Now that would be hard.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour

Mmmm, I'm not convinced it ever truly leaves the water, splashes in the surf I'd say. Seabass do that too.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
This tie is about as appealing as Stoke vs West Brom

*flips coin*

Tiger

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

OK. I give it credit for that. Fair play. (Could've gone for a bigger creature...but still...)

I've still gone for the Tiger overall, but this is how the WHC should work.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here