Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

3 reasons we will gain automatic promotion this season

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
1.) Anthony Knockaert

Whilst everyone has been hitting F5 in the Bolanos and Calleri threads, I think the club has pulled of a masterstroke, signing this guy out of the blue. When Solly March was ruled out for the season, just when he had started to realise how good he really is, it was a major setback for our promotion hopes. But, by signing Knockaert we have filled the void and gained a real threat at corners, something that we have lacked all season. The way he whips the ball in must have Bobby Zamora licking his lips, and who knows, with better service we might once again see Dunk back on the scoresheet.

2.) Kazenga LuaLua

I have never been this guys biggest fan, he has always been too inconsistent, sometimes a 9/10 player but equally likely to deliver a 5/10 performance. But this season something changed.

Up until he got injured he was regularly putting in match winning performances, and scoring vital goals. It seems that Chris Hughton knows how to get a tune out of him and I like it.

He is so unpredictable, quick and can strike a ball so cleanly that he must be a defenders worst nightmare. When he is in the mood, and starts running at the opposition, the whole atmosphere at the Amex changes. He gets the place bouncing and he more than any other player can instigate a roar from the crowd that sparks the whole team into positive action. If we are careful with his recovery and get him back to the form he showed at the start of the season he could be the difference between a playoff spot and a top 2 finish.

3.) History repeating

Since we got into the championship we have always suffered a mid season dip in form. Our lowest league position (omitting the first couple of games of each season) on 4 seasons out of 5 has been during the Christmas / New year period. On the 3 previous seasons when we have been competitive, ignoring last season, we finished between 6 and 10 places higher than our seasons low point.

2011-12 31st December 16th position - finished 10th
2012-13 29th December 10th position - finished 4th
2013-14 30th October 16th position - finished 6th
2014-15 30th December 21st position - finished 20th
2015-16 16th January 6th position - ???

The league is a marathon and it is only once every team has played each other twice can you determine who is best. All teams suffer a blip in form and we have had ours, so my money is still very much on us.

Last edited:

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Good post.

Solly and KLL were key in our run to the top of the league.

Kazenga and Knocky now have to do it again and they are very capable.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
Encouraging thoughts.... but if only it were that simple.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I think Knockaert looks a fine signing.

Clearly a skillful player, I'm surprised by his work rate and tenacity. Hughton's got a type hasn't he, he can't abide passengers.

No wonder he's so highly regarded by the Leicester fans.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
They're all massive games now, but with Burnley v Derby Monday night, feels a real chance to put some pressure back on if we can bag 3pts and get back into 3rd on Saturday. Up against a resurgent Huddersfield who are fast climbing the table and scoring plenty of goals - 19 in the last 10 games; more than anyone else in the league! :eek:

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
They're all massive games now, but with Burnley v Derby Monday night, feels a real chance to put some pressure back on if we can bag 3pts and get back into 3rd on Saturday. Up against a resurgent Huddersfield who are fast climbing the table and scoring plenty of goals - 19 in the last 10 games; more than anyone else in the league! :eek:

Only because they haven't come up against our back five.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Great post. We really really really need a moral boosting 3-0 win and fast and then keep up the momentum.

Must score as many as possible, if we can get within 4/5 goals of the Derby/Hull etc then we're in with a huge shout. Have never been tempted by a midweek trip to Hull before but could now...

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
So we don't need any more forwards then it seems. That's encouraging given how few goals the current ones have been scoring and most seem to come from a 35 year old.

The original post is simplistic in the extreme and somewhat fanciful IMO.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
So we don't need any more forwards then it seems. That's encouraging given how few goals the current ones have been scoring and most seem to come from a 35 year old.

The original post is simplistic in the extreme and somewhat fanciful IMO.

I'm not saying you are right or wrong, but we do have one striker more than we had when we went a zillion games undefeated. A highly-rated one at that.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I'm not saying you are right or wrong, but we do have one striker more than we had when we went a zillion games undefeated. A highly-rated one at that.

Or we've just replaced an in form player who is now out for the season with an equally good, possibly better player. Not sure we have an additional one though, or am I missing something?

I am very dubious that Lua Lua is back for the season as he is traditionally very injury prone and misses large swathes of the season when played regularly.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Or we've just replaced an in form player who is now out for the season with an equally good, possibly better player. Not sure we have an additional one though, or am I missing something?

I am very dubious that Lua Lua is back for the season as he is traditionally very injury prone and misses large swathes of the season when played regularly.

You were talking about forwards, which I took to be strikers.

We had: Hemed, Baldock and Zamora.
We now have, Hemed, Baldock (hopefully), Zamora and Wilson.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
You were talking about forwards, which I took to be strikers.

We had: Hemed, Baldock and Zamora.
We now have, Hemed, Baldock (hopefully), Zamora and Wilson.

Hadn't Wilson already been here for a month by the time we lost to Boro? Oh well seems I am alone in thinking we are still very lightweight upfront.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Hadn't Wilson already been here for a month by the time we lost to Boro? Oh well seems I am alone in thinking we are still very lightweight upfront.

No you aren't, we still need a top quality striker. Whether we will get one is another matter of course.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Eh? I started my contribution to this with: "I'm not saying you are right or wrong..." so you've drawn a very strange conclusion there.

For what it is worth, which is very little, I'd like to see another striker too.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Sign a good striker, then I will agree with the OP. Otherwise, it is just fantasy...

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
How many games have we had: Kaz, Knockeart, Murphy, Baldock, Hemed, Zamora and Wilson available at the same time?

Would be great to get another striker in, but I'm not throwing the towel in if we don't.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Admire the OP's positivity, but for me we are still very light up front in terms of clinical, consistent goalscorers. There are no guarantees LuaLua will return to his early season form after a long lay off and even if he does it always seems another injury is always just around the corner. Plus I'm still not fully convinced we have got over our 'blip', we played a woefully out of form Blackburn side who have lost to teams like Bolton in previous weeks.

Maybe in a couple of weeks with a striker signed, some better home performances under our belt and Kaz returning to full fitness I'll be more positive.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here