Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Bobby Charlton, Nobby Stiles, Mark Lawrenson?? v Brighton 1974

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Everyone of a certain age will remember our 4-0 home defeat at the hands of Preston North End in 1974 (season 74/75) by virtue of the fact that it featured Preston player manager Bobby Charlton.
Does anyone remember if Nobby Stiles was also playing in that match as he was also playing for Preston at the time. I've got a recollection that he was playing but not absolutely sure.
There is even a possibility that Mark Lawrenson may have been playing against us that day as he made his debut for Preston as a 17 year old in 1974. Of course no one will remember his presence as he was a total unknown at the time, but a match day programme might yield an answer, although they weren't always accurate.

Also does anybody remember the unconventional free kick that Charlton took just outside the box in front of the South stand? He lobbed it almost vertically, high into the air and it dropped down behind the Brighton wall taking them completely by surprise. I can't remember if any Preston player got on the end of it and scored, I've got a feeling they did.
Preston with Bobby Charlton were different class that day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here