Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Artex walls and ceilings & asbestos?

May 9, 2008
Stanmore, London
A little off topic but seeking some advice from the good folk of NSC please!

We have recently had an offer on a house accepted. It was built in 1969 and appears to have artex on the walls in the lounge, hallways, landing and upstairs hallway. And all ceilings throughout.

How do we know if it contains asbestos or not? I suppose I need to get it tested - has anyone ever done this before? How do you go about it and how much does it cost?

What's the best way to remove it?
- leave and get it skimmed over
- plaster board over
- remove it with x-tex or similar product

If we choose not to remove and skim or board over is there any risk with drilling and associated dust if we find asbestos present?

Any recommendations on what the best option would be and any idea on costs for either of these options? We are based in northwest London.

Advice on google seems to vary considerably.

Any suggestion or advice would be greatfully received! Many thanks!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Absolutely get it tested by an asbestos consultant. Testing shouldn't be more than a few hundred pounds. They'll take samples away for testing. If positive you can then get quotes for removal.

To be honest, if you're going to the cost of skim coat plastering, or dry lining, then removal is probably worth considering. Any drilling, cutting or sanding could potentially be hazardous in future if it does turn out to be Artex with asbestos present in it. The consultant should advise you of the risk once they completed their testing.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I bought a house with artexed/textured walls and ceilings. My current house has a skimmed textured ceiling in a bedroom We left it alone other than to paint it.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/asbestos/essentials/coatings.htm

I would start off by asking your surveyor and solicitor what might be required.

If you don't mind the look I would leave it or skim it over (although you might want to check if it does actually contain asbestos), as it is a complete pain to try and remove. Asbestos isn't dangerous in itself if it is unbroken, unless it is breathed in.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
If you are thinking about then it probably is worth getting it checked and removed if it does contain asbestos otherwise you'll worry about it the whole time you are there. If it doesn't contain asbestos then just get it skimmed.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
Recommend DAF in Woodingdean to survey. Not the real nasty stuff in artex if I recall

lordlush1972

Aug 15, 2006
Newhaven
I'm a asbestos analyst I work for Tersus we can do a survey and check and sample it were based in bevingdean DM me for more details

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th
If this house has possible asbestos containing materials (ACMs) you would be very unwise to proceed with the purchase until a) you have received written confirmation from the vendor that there is definitely no asbestos present in the building so, if this subsequently proves to be incorrect, you can sue them or b) you have received a substantial discount for what could prove to be very costly and disruptive asbestos surveys, subsequent removal and any making good required. To be clear further it is possible you will not be able to enter the house whilst removal works are being executed resulting in further seperate temporary accomodation costs.
Caveat Emptor!!

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Recommend DAF in Woodingdean to survey. Not the real nasty stuff in artex if I recall

Yep normally the case - we use a company that lets you post in a 25mm square piece and they check it within 3 days. About £40.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I would say absolutely do not worry about it, as textured coatings are seldom worth worrying about. Skimming or leaving as is is usually the best solution. Would definitely recommend Damien at DAF Consulting if you want someone local to chat about it with though. He's a top bloke and there are a lot of shiesters in the industry.

Pudos

Aug 18, 2015
It's right what people say about being careful regarding surveys. Had one done on my house, said asbestos was there and then told me it would be about £6000 to remove the artex, Luckily a friend of mine in the building trade popped by and told me the grade we had to be scraped off, double bagged and taken to tip. Checked with council and they confirmed this. Sure the guys who have offered help/advice here aren't like that but worth bearing in mind as to who, if, you get anyone in.
Used that x tex stuff to try and remove some, didn't work at all and just used a long blade to level then skim over.
Good luck

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
You really do need to know, apart from the potential discount in purchase price, the same concern will appear in reverse when you come to sell it. It could cause a problem if you employ anyone to do any building works, or from your own safety aspect if you do any disturbance work. Get it sampled and analysed by an asbestos consultancy company (UKAS accredited), not a removal contractor. Removal is still subject to the Asbestos Regs, but is Non-Licensable.
I am still in the asbestos consultancy business so pm if you need any more advice.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I would very much disagree with people saying you need to know. As a former surveyor and analyst having just bought a house full or artex. Your surveyor should have also highlighted it as a low risk item, if you've had a home buyers survey? I personally would not let it affect my house purchase.

Last edited:

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I would very much disagree with people saying you need to know. As a former surveyor and analyst having just bought a house full or artex. Your surveyor should have also highlighted it as a low risk item, if you've had a home buyers survey? I personally would not let it affect my house purchase.

Yep, only reaction from me in seeing artex in a house I'm buying is that's butt ugly and we need to get rid

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here