Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

off topic, ski resort advice

jimmygull

Mar 22, 2012
Hi all, very cheeky request for advice coming up.

I’m thinking of taking my 7 year for a 3/4 day 1st experience skiing during his half term (mid feb), but really struggling with a resort. I've been loads but a bit out of touch since having kids.

Criteria:
•*europe
• not to far from airport 90 mins max
• high enough for a good chance of snow in the resort
• good beginners slopes
• not modern purposed built crap like les arcs
• and ideally no messing round with having to get on a bus etc to to get to the lifts

I’m a bit out of touch, so any suggestions hugely welcome.

many thanks in advance

Hi all, very cheeky request for advice coming up.

I’m thinking of taking my 7 year for a 3/4 day 1st experience skiing during his half term (mid feb), but really struggling with a resort. I've been loads but a bit out of touch since having kids.

Criteria:
•*europe
• not to far from airport 90 mins max
• high enough for a good chance of snow in the resort
• good beginners slopes
• not modern purposed built crap like les arcs
• and ideally no messing round with having to get on a bus etc to to get to the lifts

I’m a bit out of touch, so any suggestions hugely welcome.

many thanks in advance

Not sure how many boxes tignes ticks but its where i took my boys and Mrs Rev to learn to ski!

europe
good snow
good nursery slopes
a little bit purpose built but has character
ski lifts very close(if you are correct end of resort)

sorry long transfer times:down:

went by train one winter???

Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Les Deux Alpes - Good for beginners and a children-friendly resort.
Maybe around 2hrs transfer though.

I was about to say this, almost word for word. Lovely village, all slopes close to accommodation.

But don't book the places right at the top of the village, they are isolated, much higher, and on the wrong side of the valley.

We drive when we go. It is a long way, but you save a fortune by filling your car with food and drink, and all the stuff your kids will need. 11.30 PM ferry from Newhaven, in the resort by about 2pm the next day.

Booking an apartment privately, through Booking.com or Air b'n'b helps too!

People say skiing is prohibitively expensive - doing it like this makes it very affordable.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Not sure how many boxes tignes ticks but its where i took my boys and Mrs Rev to learn to ski!

europe
good snow
good nursery slopes
a little bit purpose built but has character
ski lifts very close(if you are correct end of resort)

sorry long transfer times:down:

went by train one winter???

:lol: a little bit, concrete jungle of the Alps more like :lol:

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
In my experience Les Deux Alpes is worth avoiding at half term, there are only 2 proper lifts taking you up from the village, La Jandri and the red eggs, both get mahoosive queues at this time of the season.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
With half term being only 4 weeks away, you may be limited with your choices.

The good news is that there's been loads of snow the past week, and all resorts have established a good base of snow (it was looking a bit dodgy up to early Jan).

Also, high resorts tend to be purpose built.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Hasn't Les deux alpes just been hit by a huge avalanche?

A party of students were for some reason as yet to be determined with their tutor, were skiing in a prohibited area when an avalanche happened and killed some of them.

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit
Obergurghl.
90 minutes Transfer
High so snow sure
Good for intermediates and beginners
Not French so friendly.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Pretty much like all french resorts but have a soft spot for the place:wink:

I do too as it's the first resort I lived in, still ugly mind. There are dozens of pretty, scenic resorts but mainstream Brits tend to always go 3 Valleys, Espace Killy, Porte du Solieil etc and never see the Valloires and Serre Chevaliers.

I'd recommend La Clusaz or Rosiere.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Generally if you want short transfers and charm go for Austria . Soll is an excellent resort all round good for learners and enough more challenging stuff. The skiwelt area all links up easily. I'd also suggest Elmau for real charm. If you are going at half term then realistically everywhere is going to be busy but queues are not the nightmare they used to be.

It's a 5 min free bus ride to the lifts but if you leave your kit at the ski garage at the bottom of the lift each night then this is not a problem.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I do too as it's the first resort I lived in, still ugly mind. There are dozens of pretty, scenic resorts but mainstream Brits tend to always go 3 Valleys, Espace Killy, Porte du Solieil etc and never see the Valloires and Serre Chevaliers.

I'd recommend La Clusaz or Rosiere.
La Rosiere is a good call. Fairly high at about 1800, not ugly and very good for families.

Transfer from Geneva around 2.5 hours though.

Dumseagull

Jun 13, 2012
Lancing
"Les gets" is nice and close to the lifts, and inexpensive. 90 minute transfer. friendly resorts and the beginners slope/ski school is pretty much right on the Les gets high street

Oh and there's a bar right next to the ski school ;)

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Isola 2000

a punters review (not mine).....Our visit to Isola 2000 was the ideal way to get a few days skiing within easy reach of Nice. We caught the mid morning bus from the airport, (very comfortable coach), crazy price of €1.50 each. Isola not the most attractive resort but the skiing was great, no queues for the lifts, good price for passes.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
"Les gets" is nice and close to the lifts, and inexpensive. 90 minute transfer. friendly resorts and the beginners slope/ski school is pretty much right on the Les gets high street

Oh and there's a bar right next to the ski school ;)

Les Gets definitely ticks all the boxes apart from altitude. However, I just had a look at the snow report (the unofficial one, not the tourist board one) and they're having great conditions there and the entire PDS area right now, so it'll probably still be decent by half term.

Les Gets also has my favourite mountain restaurant of everywhere I've been.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here