Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Garage Services.

arfer guinness

Feb 15, 2007
Stayed overnight in Blackburn and drove back this morning. Before I left filled up with diesel and because of motorway conditions though it a good idea to make sure my washer bottle was topped up. The Shell garage I used was able to offer me everything I need for a weeks shopping, eggs, bacon, sausages, bread, milk, sweets even condoms. But did they have a watering can with water, no. I know I'm now an old fart but with supermarkets being open 24 hours I wish a petrol station would cater for a motorist.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Er, isn't there usually a hose where the tyre pump is? Watering cans get full of grit and shite which block up the washer tubes.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Stayed overnight in Blackburn and drove back this morning. Before I left filled up with diesel and because of motorway conditions though it a good idea to make sure my washer bottle was topped up. The Shell garage I used was able to offer me everything I need for a weeks shopping, eggs, bacon, sausages, bread, milk, sweets even condoms. But did they have a watering can with water, no. I know I'm now an old fart but with supermarkets being open 24 hours I wish a petrol station would cater for a motorist.

Why not just spend £1.99 for a bottle of ready to go screenwash ?

arfer guinness

Feb 15, 2007
Er, isn't there usually a hose where the tyre pump is? Watering cans get full of grit and shite which block up the washer tubes.

Checked that, nothing. I worked on a garage forecourt back in the 70's when I was an apprentice and you were responsible for keeping for keeping all services clean and tidy.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Would have been cheaper to have stopped at Tesco or similar before leaving and bought a 1.5ltr own still water. Burst pipe in HH yesterday morning so had to nip to Sainsbury to get water to make a cuppa but it was only 20p.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
So effectively you are saying that you failed to check your fluid levels before leaving for the trip to Blackburn. If this had been done, no doubt you would have topped up the screen wash at home, and not had to worry about a watering can, or refusing to buy a bottle of screenwash.

But the big question is how did you make it home without being able to clear your windscreen or where you in fact being over cautious and therefore just moaning for the sake of moaning

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I would assume that the OP checked his bottle before leaving home but used a lot driving up due to the bad weather, very sensible to check before driving home also especially as it is virtually all motorway and spray from the road.

arfer guinness

Feb 15, 2007
So effectively you are saying that you failed to check your fluid levels before leaving for the trip to Blackburn. If this had been done, no doubt you would have topped up the screen wash at home, and not had to worry about a watering can, or refusing to buy a bottle of screenwash.

But the big question is how did you make it home without being able to clear your windscreen or where you in fact being over cautious and therefore just moaning for the sake of moaning

As it's only a 460 mile round trip to Blackburn from where I live so I didn't bother to do any extra checks from a week ago. I managed to find a car accessory shop who sold me a bottle of concentrated screen wash and also gave me some water from the shop. My moan is about garages who don't provide for the motorist but have become mini supermarkets.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Gone are the days when you could buy a light bulb, windscreen wiper jump leads or even a car battery on the garage forecourts.
And if you want to wander down cobbled lanes to fetch your loaf of Hovis you're going to be sorely disappointed as well.

Though, happily, the petrol station will probably have some just next to the shiny coffee machine.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
And if you want to wander down cobbled lanes to fetch your loaf of Hovis you're going to be sorely disappointed as well.

Though, happily, the petrol station will probably have some just next to the shiny coffee machine.

That is or should be an added service. If I am driving a car I go to a garage primarily to get fuel or some aid for the car to keep me going on my journey. Is that too much to expect?

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
That is or should be an added service. If I am driving a car I go to a garage primarily to get fuel or some aid for the car to keep me going on my journey. Is that too much to expect?
Two things;

1) I know that you're often made the butt of jokes for no real reason but this isn't one of those times, though I don't blame you for assuming

2) Are you saying that every garage should provide cobbled lanes and Hovis? If so, I'm with you my revolutionary brother!

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Gone are the days when you could buy a light bulb, windscreen wiper jump leads or even a car battery on the garage forecourts.

Gone are the days when every car had H7 bulbs, 18 inch wiper blades and an 063 battery too..... It's just not viable for a petrol station to carry all of this slow moving stock anymore compared to the variety of other stuff that they sell at a premium cost and make more profit on than the fuel they sell.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here