Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Sussex dialect

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
The Sussex dialect is a subset of the Southern English dialect group. Historically, there were three main variants to the dialect: west Sussex (west of Shoreham and the river Adur), mid Sussex (between the Adur and Hastings) and east Sussex (from Hastings eastwards). There were also differences between downland and Wealden communities. In particular, the people of the Weald were thought to have the most impenetrable accents. The Sussex dialect shows remarkable continuity: the three main dialect areas reflect the historic county's history. The west and mid dialect areas reflect the ancient division of Sussex between East and West, which until the creation of the rape of Bramber in the 11th century lay along the river Adur. The eastern dialect area reflects the unique history of the Hastings area, which was home to the kingdom of the Haestingas until the 8th century.

So my question is: Does anyone still have the old Sussex accent or knows of someone that does?

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
On the hoarding at the new Waitrose building site in Haywards Heath they have had old sussex words designed by local school kids.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
My next door neighbour when I lived in East Preston for over 30 years has the Sussex dialect, a proper oooh arr.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
My next door neighbour when I lived in East Preston for over 30 years has the Sussex dialect, a proper oooh arr.
My granddad who passed away some years ago had a fantastic Wealden accent. I couldn't understand some of his family. I wish I could hear it now. I've mentioned before, the owner of the tyre place on the Broyle has a great old time accent.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
As I have lived away from Brighton for a long time now, I can say there is definitely a Brighton/ Sussex accent. I can hear it when up here on the local news, someone is being interviewed from down there.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
As I have lived away from Brighton for a long time now, I can say there is definitely a Brighton/ Sussex accent. I can hear it when up here on the local news, someone is being interviewed from down there.

Yep, I have a "Brighton accent". When I used to work away everyone used to ask "what part of London are you from". Oh dear, nothing to be to proud of.

When my kids were young, they had school friends who lived in Firle, with parents who had lived in the village for several generations. The BBC were looking for a number of Sussex dialect speakers and signed up the whole family, including the kids, to play the parts.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Yep, I have a "Brighton accent". When I used to work away everyone used to ask "what part of London are you from". Oh dear, nothing to be to proud of.
I was brought up along the coast in Seaford. When I lived up north, that was the question I was asked as well. I think there is a south coast accent in Sussex. No Londoner would ever mistake it for a London accent.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Seafud a different,distinct accent to Brituurn.Alfriston definitely had a proper Sussex accent when I were a lad:hilton:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here