Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Top Gear/Chris Evans & the BBC

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
I cannot help feel a certain pleasure response when reading some media reports. This attempt at resurrecting 'Top Gear' is turning into a farce. :rave: Evans has taken on what some may say is a 'poisoned chalice'. It is doomed. Whatever Clarkson did or whether you like him or not he was the 'glue' of the show. Evans will just be a puddle of sticky flour and water. Love it.

James Bond's body double

Nov 1, 2009
Southwick
I cannot help feel a certain pleasure response when reading some media reports. This attempt at resurrecting 'Top Gear' is turning into a farce. :rave: Evans has taken on what some may say is a 'poisoned chalice'. It is doomed. Whatever Clarkson did or whether you like him or not he was the 'glue' of the show. Evans will just be a puddle of sticky flour and water. Love it.

What makes you think this then? Chris Evans has not failed at many thing he has done.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton

Where is this "pleasure" derived from? it reads that you want it to fail, yes?

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
It's not Chris Evans exactly it's the attempt to 'rebrand' a 'brand' name the BBC legally owns but doesn't. It's laughable. Of course being able to speak to camera whilst throwing a 360 might be helpful too. Anyhow it's my opinion and I think it will fail and it will cost the BBC and US a lot of money in licence fees. Resignations from presenting and production staff have also been noted.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Top Gear will only fail if try to mimic the previous incarnation. you cant recreate the same character and chemistry, as countless remakes of things have shown over the years. however, Evans is a big enough personality himself, he's not going to try to be Clarkson. the format will be adjusted to suit the new people and take it in a different direction. it wont be as popular as Top Gear was, but then that had tired anyway.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
It is still cr@p.

Gone downhill since William Woollard and Michael Rodd educated us in the ways of modern day motoring whether it involved driving gloves or a padded steering wheel for safety.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Top Gear shifted from being a programme about cars to being a programme about the presenters years ago, is the re-boot going to go back to days of road-testing advances in motor car design and development or is it going to carry on driving Smart cars through caravans and insulting foreigners or whatever... that is the question ?

MF'84

A load of Bolanos
Jul 26, 2012
Derbyshire
Top Gear shifted from being a programme about cars to being a programme about the presenters years ago, is the re-boot going to go back to days of road-testing advances in motor car design and development or is it going to carry on driving Smart cars through caravans and insulting foreigners or whatever... that is the question ?

Going for the middle ground I believe, bit of both, which is a good thing if they get the right balance.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
It will be 'The One Show', about cars. In other words- Absolute Gash.

BBC should never have tried to push on with it, but they can't resist the $$$$

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
There is a show there somewhere for someone that wants to test cars. Or you can try and replicate a celeb based show with a cult following. I wonder if going back to the original will work or have we all moved on?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It will be 'The One Show', about cars. In other words- Absolute Gash.

BBC should never have tried to push on with it, but they can't resist the $$$$

It's a dilemma for the Beeb, the presenters got too big for the show ( well certainly one of them ! ) yet it was the Beebs fault that they allowed it to happen, they own the format and so they have to try something. Mind you, I never watched before for years anyway.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

No doubt media reports from the Beeb hating right wing press.......

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Personally I was getting bored with the Top Gear specials. Just a series of staged bumps with the car in front, getting lost, doing stupid things to a car when the driver was away, with the only difference being the location.

There needs to be a reboot of the show but what do they retain. Seems that they are tied in to using the test track so assume the Stig will stay, but for the rest I'm sure Chris Evans will grow into the role, and people will still watch without Clarkson

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Top Gear/Chris Evans & the BBC

The big question is,

Does anyone actually like Chris Evans?

And do you want too watch his opinion on cars?

I don't.......

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The big question is,

I don't.......

There are plenty of people that like Chris Evans, just as there are plenty that can't stand Clarkson. Personally, I've liked a lot of what Evans has done, not everything, but a lot, going back as far as his time on GLR.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The big question is,

I don't.......

I didn't really like Clarkson,and I was not interested on his opinion of cars.. so I did not watch before.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Matt Le Blanc to be new co-presenter on Top Gear. ???

Strange choice but instantly makes me want to watch the new series on BBC.
Don't care about Evans but want to watch Joey makes jokes about Chris and cars.

Edit: Maybe not too strange an idea due to BBC's Episodes.
Looking forward to it.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Matt Le Blanc to be new co-presenter on Top Gear. ???

Really weird one isn't it? I hope that he is good, I am just worried that we all have perceptions of him as Joey rather than a presenter!

It would have been great to get a few unknowns in that we could get to know and see their style grow

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here