Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Modern day cricket.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
I fully accept the game needs both 20/20,One-Day cricket let alone Sky money to survive and hopefully prosper,but i am the from the 'old school' give me England beating The Convicts,South Africa and West Indies in a Test Match and series. :clap2: For these are the ones that really count,surely ? :wave:

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Absolutely this. I enjoy watching T20 for a bit of a laugh, and the ODI's are all right to watch, but you can't beat the five day game.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Test cricket is REAL cricket, twenty/20 and limited over cricket is just an imitation, can be exciting but not real cricket.

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
I am the same. I find the majority of 20/20 and 50 over cricket dull as dish water (especially during the middle overs in 50 over cricket when they are just rotating the strike with single after single.

I love the way that test cricket can ebb and flow. I also love the duel between a top test bowler and batsmen.

Its test cricket all the way for me. Day/night test cricket might be the only way to save the longest form of the game in the sub continent and West Indies though.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
remember having chicken pox as a young'un mid 70's

had it's pluses though,watched every ball of the televised test matches

even went as far as having lunch and tea at the same time as the cricket

never really took same day cricket that seriously,ok maybe when Sussex won the Gillette Cup

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek

never really took same day cricket that seriously,ok maybe when Sussex won the Gillette Cup

Now you are not alone in that about 'meal breaks'.

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
Must admit to being a bit of a "purist" and while I can see a place for limited overs cricket I prefer Tests (but better if there's a Sussex player in them). Love first class games at Hove and have done since 1967. When before and between marriages I could sometimes watch the whole of a four (previously three) day game; not something I can do out of respect to the current Mrs Saladpack (I might end up "between" relationships again!). Only ever seen about three limited overs games and never been to 20/20; I don't feel I've missed out.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Completely agree. Test cricket is my favourite thing in sport, there's nothing else like it.

de la zouch

Jul 12, 2007
20/20 is like fast food, nice every now and again but too often makes you feel sick.
Test cricket is fine dining: complex, enjoyable, has surprises and rarely disappoints.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Completely agree. Test cricket is my favourite thing in sport, there's nothing else like it.

So you love cricket more than football?

The purists might not like the short format but without it the game would probably be dead in the water financially.

MF'84

A load of Bolanos
Jul 26, 2012
Derbyshire
As long as the wicket isn't dead flat and completely predictable for 5 days you can't beat a good test match. All forms have their place though.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Test match cricket is the pinnacle, the rest is just fluff. I'm not sure if younger people see it that way though.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

When I as a kid during the school summer holidays if there was a test on I would set my alarm for 10:50 so I was up just in time for start of play, and watch all day and same thing re lunch and tea. If it was raining when I woke up I was distraught......

Never had the same need for any form of one day cricket, but happy to watch a bit now and then and do enjoy a summer Friday evening at Hove.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
So you love cricket more than football?

The purists might not like the short format but without it the game would probably be dead in the water financially.

I'm with LlcoolJ - Test cricket all the way for me well ahead of football.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I've always loved Test cricket. Especially on TMS. I don't mind the 50 over game but 20/20 is not for me.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
If it was raining when I woke up I was distraught......

unless we needed devine intervention for the draw :lol:

felt like that when they dug up the wicket at Headingly

George Davis is innocent,nice one :facepalm:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here