Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

penalty? Free kick? Nothing?

ozseagull

Jun 27, 2013
Here is a question for the brains of nsc. Happened in a youngsters match when I was ref. I gave a penalty but I'm not sure what the right decision should be.......
A long through ball is played and it rolls through the 18 yard box and is going out for a goal kick. The young striker sprints and keeps it in but his momentum carries him off the pitch. The defenders momentum also carries him off the pitch.
So now we have the ball in the penalty box and striker and defender off the pitch. The defender grabs the striker giving the goalkeeper time to grab the ball.
So a foul but off of the pitch.
What decision should be given?

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
Technically, it is a drop ball from where the ball was when whistle was blown, but in a kids game, pen seems like the right decision.

MF'84

A load of Bolanos
Jul 26, 2012
Derbyshire
I'm sure I've seen occasions were fouls 'off the pitch' have still resulted in bookings etc. but can't remember whether a free kick was awarded - where would it be taken from?

In your example I'm not sure it could be a penalty as the offence happened outside the box (making being off the field irrelevant)... maybe a drop ball from where the ball was at the time? We don't have enough properly contested drop balls these days!

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I agree with the consensus so far, as it was a kids match giving the penalty was the right thing to do as a deterrent to the offending kid. Personally, I think if the ball is in play but the players are off the pitch, there can still be a foul because the ball is what's relevant, rather than the position of the players - that said, if the ball is in the penalty area and an attacker is chopped down by a defender outside the box, that would be a free kick rather than a penalty.

It's a tough one to call, but I agree with your decision to award the penalty.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Yes we all agree, but what is the correct decision, its black or white, I dont know ...............

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Technically, it is a drop ball from where the ball was when whistle was blown, but in a kids game, pen seems like the right decision.

Correct or not as it was a youngsters game I think a penalty was correct if only to teach the offending lad a lesson.

Unless agreed as part of the childrens game, rolling subs, etc the same rules must apply. There can not be any its a childrens game so the referee can give a harsher or more lenient decision, It should have been a drop ball from where the ball was when the game stopped in in play.

What next a child takes a penalty hits the post and puts the ball away for a goal on the rebund. It should be a free kick but no doubt you would want to allow the goal as its a childrens game and children like scoring goals etc

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Here is a question for the brains of nsc. Happened in a youngsters match when I was ref. I gave a penalty but I'm not sure what the right decision should be.......
A long through ball is played and it rolls through the 18 yard box and is going out for a goal kick. The young striker sprints and keeps it in but his momentum carries him off the pitch. The defenders momentum also carries him off the pitch.
So now we have the ball in the penalty box and striker and defender off the pitch. The defender grabs the striker giving the goalkeeper time to grab the ball.
So a foul but off of the pitch.
What decision should be given?

More importantly, what was the reaction of the defenders teams manager and parents ..................... ?????????

SurreySeagulls

Jul 9, 2003
Guildford
The correct decision in a penalty, even though they have left the field of play they are still technically part of it as it is momentum that took them off. If you can remember a decision in the Euros in Switzerland when a player was deemed offside even though he had left the field of play by the goal line as his momentum took him off. So good decision

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
You made the wrong decision.

The following conditions must be met for an offence to be considered a foul:
• it must be committed by a player
• it must occur on the field of play
• it must occur while the ball is in play
If the referee stops play due to an offence committed outside the field of play
(when the ball is in play), play must be restarted with a dropped ball from the
position of the ball when play was stopped, unless play was stopped inside the
goal area, in which case the referee drops the ball on the goal area line parallel
to the goal line at the point nearest to where the ball was located when play
was stopped.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Unless agreed as part of the childrens game, rolling subs, etc the same rules must apply. There can not be any its a childrens game so the referee can give a harsher or more lenient decision, It should have been a drop ball from where the ball was when the game stopped in in play.

What next a child takes a penalty hits the post and puts the ball away for a goal on the rebund. It should be a free kick but no doubt you would want to allow the goal as its a childrens game and children like scoring goals etc

I think I understand your point, can you therefore confirm that the decision should have been a drop ball and at what point should the play be stopped, the ball was in play and the players off the pitch, does the infringement still count if it is done off the pitch ?

I dont think the OP put his own slant on the decision, he quite reasonably didnt know what the correct decision should be so made an instinctive decision based on what might seem fair.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
No penalty as it didn't occur in the box. I suspect that, technically, the only thing you could do would be to book the player but that might be OTT for a kids match.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
You made the wrong decision.

The following conditions must be met for an offence to be considered a foul:
• it must be committed by a player
• it must occur on the field of play
• it must occur while the ball is in play
If the referee stops play due to an offence committed outside the field of play
(when the ball is in play), play must be restarted with a dropped ball from the
position of the ball when play was stopped, unless play was stopped inside the
goal area, in which case the referee drops the ball on the goal area line parallel
to the goal line at the point nearest to where the ball was located when play
was stopped.

Here's the conundrum, if you as the defending manager accept your defender penalised the attacker to stop him gaining an advantage to perhaps score do you challenge the drop ball, either way at the decision stage or not the outcome is driven my some sense of fairness rather than by the terms of the rules ..................... just saying like.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The correct decision in a penalty, even though they have left the field of play they are still technically part of it as it is momentum that took them off. If you can remember a decision in the Euros in Switzerland when a player was deemed offside even though he had left the field of play by the goal line as his momentum took him off. So good decision

Is it ? The foul didn't take place in the box, so how can it be ?

Also, the one doing the holding down should have been sent off for illegally stopping a clear goalscoring opportunity ?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Wrong. They are off the pitch so no foul occurred in the penalty area. Offside is completely different. If you are deemed to be seeking an advantage by just stepping off the pitch, you can be booked for unsporting behaviour.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here