Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Used car haggling

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
What would you expect to be able to knock off the screen price of a used car at a large independent dealer when paying cash?

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
What would you expect to be able to knock off the screen price of a used car at a large independent dealer when paying cash?

Do they really give discounts for cash? When I bought my first car, some 12 odd years ago, we tried that. Got a stoney stare for my trouble. Might just have been that particular garage, or it may have the presence of my mother's husband (who is a Class A bellend).

Miximate

Aug 30, 2012
Mid Sussex
Also push for à free service or the next MOT (depending on the age of the car) or a years tax and a tank full of fuel and perhaps a set of mats all round

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Do they really give discounts for cash? When I bought my first car, some 12 odd years ago, we tried that. Got a stoney stare for my trouble. Might just have been that particular garage, or it may have the presence of my mother's husband (who is a Class A bellend).

No idea. I just wanted to state that we'd not be taking their finance.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Depends what time of the month you are buying. The best day to get the best deal is Christams Eve at around 1.30p.m. But guess you have missed that.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
about 5%

That's what i got recently when i bought a car of that value

plus a service, two new tyres and they touched up a couple of scratches

no trade in, and no finance.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
about 5%

That's what i got recently when i bought a car of that value

plus a service, two new tyres and they touched u a couple of scratches

no trade in, and no finance.

Thanks!

In a bit of a hurry - Mrs B wrote off our car on Thursday. Garage is in Southampton and state car can be driven away today so I was intending to do that if we like it.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I would suggest it depends on how desirable the car is and how long it has been on the forecourt. Taking their finance would probably get you a bigger discount than paying cash I would have thought, so not sure offering cash is a big incentive. Having no trade in should be though.

Is it a desirable car or run of the mill?

I'd go in at £1000 off seeing as you want to pay cash and drive away. They WILL be happy to barter...probably. Isn't this time of year tough for car dealers?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Best way is f the dealer knows that you have options, as well as cash ready to spend. If he doesn't give you a decent deal, just leave your mobile number and tell him that you're looking at a few other dealers. Then piss off and wait for him to call.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Don't most dealers do the servicing/cambelt change, touch ups etc if necessary after the car is sold so if you are driving away you should be able to barter that cost as well off if you can find out what it is.

TheDuke

Oct 28, 2011
Arundel
Offering them cash is not a carrot for most car dealers unless they don't declare the sale. They earn very nicely from commission they receive from the finance companies.
If you've no part exchange, offer them £200 less than you would be be happy to buy for...they huff and puff and then both parties will comprise. When at that point...be cheeky and ask for little extras...next MOT, new mats, next free service. It also depends on how well the company/salesman has done that weak...if its been slow they are willing to give more away and visa versa of course. 10% off would be the best you could expect on 10K. Good luck.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Sorry - wasn't expecting anything extra for cash - just wanted to be clear it wouldn't be finance so they'd not be making a kickback on that.

No interest in any freebies that involve coming back as we're in Worthing and they are over an hour away in Southampton.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
If you can get 5% then you have done OK, much more then the dealer is desperate, ask yourself why? Could be cash flow, could be a crap car? Freebies can be worth haggling over mind, accessories or servicing or a tank of fuel. Good luck.

TheDuke

Oct 28, 2011
Arundel
Sorry - wasn't expecting anything extra for cash - just wanted to be clear it wouldn't be finance so they'd not be making a kickback on that.

No interest in any freebies that involve coming back as we're in Worthing and they are over an hour away in Southampton.
When you have nearly shaken on the deal...still ask for a full tank of juice....it normally works!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
When we bought our Kia new from Tates they said they wouldnt give a cash discount as they prefer a car to be bought on credit. Obviously they get a commission. Also they wouldnt accept cash as apparently under money laundering rules it is illegal to accept a cash payment in excess of £7k. Any purchase above that price must be made via a bank debit or transfer in order to leave a 'money trail'. As per Tates Pyecombe.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here