Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

SKY tv Value?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I will admit to having a very biased viewpoint. As a long distance season ticket holder I especially love Saturday games. Indeed I'm not averse to Sunday games. Relatively easy travelling starting out at a sensible time and getting home at a sensible time. However I am getting to an age where arriving home from evening matches at 2 in the morning is a struggle and travelling down for a Friday night game (a fair drive before even reaching the M25 and a pretty much unavoidable 5 to 6 hour trip down compared to the usual 3 hours) is a no-no.

After the latest tv-inspired match day change I admit to being more than a little peeved on a personal level but there's more to it than that. Increasingly I can't help thinking, should the Championship be questioning whether they are effectively sponsoring the Premier League? It seems that we get very little of the money from SKY for fairly extensive coverage while the slush fund is used to plump up the EPL big boys and subsidise their losers via parachute payments. Should The "lesser" leagues get a bigger cut for the seemingly ever increasing part they play to boosting SKY Sports' audiences?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Sky have a separate deal with the Football League for showing the Championship and lower divisions.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I will admit to having a very biased viewpoint. As a long distance season ticket holder I especially love Saturday games. Indeed I'm not averse to Sunday games. Relatively easy travelling starting out at a sensible time and getting home at a sensible time. However I am getting to an age where arriving home from evening matches at 2 in the morning is a struggle and travelling down for a Friday night game (a fair drive before even reaching the M25 and a pretty much unavoidable 5 to 6 hour trip down compared to the usual 3 hours) is a no-no.

After the latest tv-inspired match day change I admit to being more than a little peeved on a personal level but there's more to it than that. Increasingly I can't help thinking, should the Championship be questioning whether they are effectively sponsoring the Premier League? It seems that we get very little of the money from SKY for fairly extensive coverage while the slush fund is used to plump up the EPL big boys and subsidise their losers via parachute payments. Should The "lesser" leagues get a bigger cut for the seemingly ever increasing part they play to boosting SKY Sports' audiences?

Very good point SG. I was thinking along the same lines following today's latest switch.

If we had 9 games in the PL, I wonder how much we would have received from the Sky Cash Cow?

Are there any PL clubs that have been/will be shown less than 9 times this season (Sky probably haven't finished with us, there will be at least 2 more IF we make the Play-offs).

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
It seems that we get very little of the money from SKY for fairly extensive coverage while the slush fund is used to plump up the EPL big boys and subsidise their losers via parachute payments. Should The "lesser" leagues get a bigger cut for the seemingly ever increasing part they play to boosting SKY Sports' audiences?

Here's your answer

TjS9y0d.png

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
I have in mind that the Derby and Wednesday games at home will both end up televised and at least one more away before the seasons done

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
If we had 9 games in the PL, I wonder how much we would have received from the Sky Cash Cow?

Are there any PL clubs that have been/will be shown less than 9 times this season (Sky probably haven't finished with us, there will be at least 2 more IF we make the Play-offs).

The English broadcast income for clubs is generated in three parts: 50% shared between the 20 clubs equally, 25% in facility fees and 25% in merit payments which depend upon where a club finish in the league table. Facility fees are paid to each club every time their matches are shown on UK television, with each club being guaranteed a minimum of ten fees.

Eddy Gemmell

Jul 3, 2015
Hemel Hempstead, Herts

I agree. I'm a little north of London and travelling home from evening game usually means getting in a midnight. I make them rarely for that reason. I'm torn though with the convenience of watching from home! Nothing beats being there, don't get me wrong, but sometime (when it's bl**dy cold, etc) I'm not all that miffed.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I have in mind that the Derby and Wednesday games at home will both end up televised and at least one more away before the seasons done

Wouldn't discount Burnley either.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here