Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chris Hughton says club will not panic in transfer window

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
ALBION boss Chris Hughton insists the club will not panic in the January transfer window in response to their barren run.
The Seagulls have added Richie Towell, Liam Ridgewell and Anthony Knockaert to the squad.

They also remain committed to signing another striker to boost their firepower as they try to recover at Blackburn tomorrow from seven League games without a win after Tuesday’s defeat at Rotherham.
Hughton said: “We’re certainly aware we mustn’t panic. The level of competition is no different to what it was earlier in the season, when we were doing well and on a very good run.
“The Rotherham game is probably the only game I could say I don’t think we deserved to get anything.
“Even in the Ipswich and Wolves games you couldn’t fault our endeavour to try and win, so one thing we certainly mustn’t do is panic.
“We also have to be conscious that, come the end of January, we’ve got the best squad available to go through to the end of the season and be exactly where we want to be.”

Hughton expects transfer activity in the Championship to gather pace at the end of the January window.
He said: “It’s been a bit quiet but, generally, going into that last week most teams are really thinking hard about making sure they don’t get left behind.

Is this code for...... :eek:

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
tumblr_mss4xnoZLA1qeuadso1_500.gif

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
No panic then. We'll just drift serenely into February without signing a striker, and then declare that we're "happy with what we have".

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
No panic then. We'll just drift serenely into February without signing a striker, and then declare that we're "happy with what we have".

It does feel a bit like that, and then try and beat 10 other sides in getting Murray on loan for 90 days..

SteveTheSeagull

I AM A CRIPPLED ALICE FAN
Feb 14, 2015
Heard this all before. Also the time before that. Think it's code for "no more transfers"

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
What I don't want to happen is Hughton NOT to panic in the window and end up with nothing, then panic AFTER the window by throwing in Harper because he's run out of options.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Unless we sign some quality this month, we'll look back in May at a season of two distinct halves; unbeaten table-toppers in the first half; mid-table plodders in the second.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
What I don't want to happen is Hughton NOT to panic in the window and end up with nothing, then panic AFTER the window by throwing in Harper because he's run out of options.

We'll probably revert to loans :annoyed:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
We'll get either Calleri, Bolanos or Bou - all of which are still uncomitted to going elsewhere - I'm sure.

If not, Ulloa on a half season loan, or Murray for 93 days.

Maybe we'll also get Skalak.

17 days until the window shuts.

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
Two ways of taking this..
1. Everything is under control, we've got who we want coming in, you'll be pleased, so no need to panic.
2. Uncle Tony has run the Silver Lizard betting algorithms over the Albion - according to the algorithms we're not going up, we're not going down, so no need to buy now - wait till the summer and start again. If we get in the play-offs we'll see what happens as we did with Oscar.
We'll find out in a couple of weeks which of those it is

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
We'll get either Calleri, Bolanos or Bou - all of which are still uncomitted to going elsewhere - I'm sure.

If not, Ulloa on a half season loan, or Murray for 93 days.

Maybe we'll also get Skalak.

17 days until the window shuts.

can you please tell us what you take every morning - I really think it will help me get through the day. :moo:

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
Two ways of taking this..
1. Everything is under control, we've got who we want coming in, you'll be pleased, so no need to panic.
2. Uncle Tony has run the Silver Lizard betting algorithms over the Albion - according to the algorithms we're not going up, we're not going down, so no need to buy now - wait till the summer and start again. If we get in the play-offs we'll see what happens as we did with Oscar.
We'll find out in a couple of weeks which of those it is

no.2 I think

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
We needed a 20 goal a season striker during the summer - Zamora will not be that again and Helmed has never been that prolific. Not think about adding our main striker in January. Boro, Derby etc all had their main strikers in place during the summer, they are now adding to that - that's building from Strength.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
What would the naysayers prefer?

We panic and buy someone like Billy Paynter or Leon Best just for the sake of buying a striker because that's an area we need reinforcements? Or wait and try to get players that will actually add something to our attacking ability provided there are some willing to join us, their club is willing to sell (may delay it until they can sign a replacement themself) and we agree on their cost / wages demands, etc.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here