Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How did this happen?

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Surely if he's good enough for them we should have spotted him?

Or perhaps Lancing is too far away from Lewes?

Liverpool and Tottenham are monitoring winger Yasin ben el-Mhanni, 20, who has impressed this season for Ryman Premier League side Lewes and has just started a trial at Crystal Palace.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
How we miss guys playing under our very noses I don't know. He's not the first but SHOULD be the last. And Palace, REALLY?:facepalm:

People have trials all the time, at clubs all over the country. Its a little early to suggest the club have 'missed' anything tbh.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
Fair point, Exile, it just saddens me that blokes playing in Sussex don't end up with the Albion. Suppose I've got the old blue and white specs on again.......

Of course we'd all love that (Not that this lad is a Sussex boy - he's found his way to Lewes at 20, via Barnet, Aldershot and Farnborough).

But is this chap actually any good? A few flashes of course, to have attracted a bit of attention, but the reality is that at the age of 20, he's playing for the side rock bottom of the Ryman League. There may well be a raw talent, but he's not influencing games to the point they are winning them - and this some 5 or 6 leagues below the Championship.

Same situation with Greg Luer - a player who had achieved a lot more in non-league than this - big moan up on here about how the Albion had missed out. He's barely kicked a ball for Hull since.

SAC

May 21, 2014
PL teams can take a gamble on someone, offering them £1 a week on a two year contract (just a guess). £100k is nothing in the PL but it is all extra debt to anyone outside of it.

Having a trial and West Brom and Palace and getting the papers talking about Spurs and Liverpool probably means that he has a good agent.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Maybe he was scouted, had a trial and our management didn't think he was good enough ? We don't know he's been 'missed'.......

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Of course we'd all love that (Not that this lad is a Sussex boy - he's found his way to Lewes at 20, via Barnet, Aldershot and Farnborough).

But is this chap actually any good? A few flashes of course, to have attracted a bit of attention, but the reality is that at the age of 20, he's playing for the side rock bottom of the Ryman League. There may well be a raw talent, but he's not influencing games to the point they are winning them - and this some 5 or 6 leagues below the Championship.

Same situation with Greg Luer - a player who had achieved a lot more in non-league than this - big moan up on here about how the Albion had missed out. He's barely kicked a ball for Hull since.

Very harsh on Luer who is doing very well at Hull, to go from playing for Burgess Hill to game time at Hull and regularly around there first team squad is quite an acheivement in my opinion

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
Very harsh on Luer who is doing very well at Hull, to go from playing for Burgess Hill to game time at Hull and regularly around there first team squad is quite an acheivement in my opinion

Fair. Not really a comment on Luer himself - more the reaction from some on here, as though we'd passed up Thomas Mueller.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
We haven't missed out on anybody, seriously just another kid which may have a bit of talent but would sit in out DS squad and probably never get a chance.

Khandi who is currently in our DS squad on the other hand has been out on loan and tore up the ryman premier with plenty of goals, does this mean he should be in the first team?

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Surely if he's good enough for them we should have spotted him?

Or perhaps Lancing is too far away from Lewes?

Liverpool and Tottenham are monitoring winger Yasin ben el-Mhanni, 20, who has impressed this season for Ryman Premier League side Lewes and has just started a trial at Crystal Palace.

Absolute ****ing disgraceful we miss things like this.
Also things like Albion in the Community, why are Charlton Athletic doing and have been doing for years Coaching for kids in towns like Crowborough etc !!
It should be Albion desperate to get in on the kids round Sussex spotting young talent at an early age.
I think our scouts too are no where near as good as some people think they are.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
Absolute ****ing disgraceful we miss things like this.
Also things like Albion in the Community, why are Charlton Athletic doing and have been doing for years Coaching for kids in towns like Crowborough etc !!
It should be Albion desperate to get in on the kids round Sussex spotting young talent at an early age.
I think our scouts too are no where near as good as some people think they are.

The Albion are coaching kids all over Sussex, and indeed have satellite academy sites - including in South London (which no doubt will cause similar angst to this thread, on the BBS).

Charlton, Chelsea and other clubs operate in Sussex, especially in the North of the County. The club can't affect that - they don't have the right of a monopoly.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Young Solly March was released by Albion before being picked up again, it is opinions and plenty of lads that are picked up never make it, and a few who are released or not picked up after a trial, go on to great careers.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
The Albion are coaching kids all over Sussex, and indeed have satellite academy sites - including in South London (which no doubt will cause similar angst to this thread, on the BBS).

Charlton, Chelsea and other clubs operate in Sussex, especially in the North of the County. The club can't affect that - they don't have the right of a monopoly.

Sure i saw a Brighton Coaching session taking part at Whytleafe Fc in the summer so basically on the doorstep of Pal*** , so i'm sure we do have our fingers in many pies yes

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
Sure i saw a Brighton Coaching session taking part at Whytleafe Fc in the summer so basically on the doorstep of Pal*** , so i'm sure we do have our fingers in many pies yes

Yes - that's where the Albion (London) Academy site is. Also, one of the DS keepers is (or at least was) on loan, in the Whyteleafe first team.

Lankyseagull

One Step Beyond
Jul 25, 2006
The Field of Uck
From this Metro article dated 7th January, it looks like The Albion are aware of him.

"West Brom have granted non-league football freestyler Yasin Ben El-Mhanni a trial with their under-21 squad.
Yasin Ben El-Mhanni, who was born in west London to Moroccan parents, is currently part of the first-team squad of non-league side Lewes on a non-contract basis.
But El-Mhanni is better known for the incredible arsenal of skills that he possesses rather than his all-round game, the very same skills that have seen him used in Nike adverts alongside Brazilian superstar Neymar.
Naturally comfortable on the wing of an attacking trio, El-Mhanni has attracted the attentions of Championship clubs QPR, Brighton and Birmingham, according to the Guardian.
The 20-year-old joined West Brom training on Monday and will feature in the under-21 match against Arsenal."

Maybe he has all the skills of a freestyler, but can't do the business on the pitch, hence the number of trials and non-league clubs he's had?

Given that he's only made 4 league and 3 cup appearances for Lewes since he joined in October 2015 also has something to do with it?

Scored a couple in the league cup,scoring regularly for hull development squad and managed to be part of the team that knocked out Albion from the fa cup!???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here