Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

How did this happen?

0 Not allowed!
    Surely if he's good enough for them we should have spotted him?

Or perhaps Lancing is too far away from Lewes?

Liverpool and Tottenham are monitoring winger Yasin ben el-Mhanni, 20, who has impressed this season for Ryman Premier League side Lewes and has just started a trial at Crystal Palace.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Just Shut Up and Paddle Saladpack Seagull's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      How we miss guys playing under our very noses I don't know. He's not the first but SHOULD be the last. And Palace, REALLY?

8 Not allowed!
      Warren spotted him but for obvious reasons decided not to inform the powers that be .
      Seagulls be thou the rainbow in the storms of life ,the evening beam that smiles the clouds away ,and tints tomorrow with prophetic ray .
      Objective but passionate

4 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Saladpack Seagull View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      How we miss guys playing under our very noses I don't know. He's not the first but SHOULD be the last. And Palace, REALLY?
      People have trials all the time, at clubs all over the country. Its a little early to suggest the club have 'missed' anything tbh.
      Stand or Fall
      Just Shut Up and Paddle Saladpack Seagull's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Exile View Post
      People have trials all the time, at clubs all over the country. Its a little early to suggest the club have 'missed' anything tbh.
      Fair point, Exile, it just saddens me that blokes playing in Sussex don't end up with the Albion. Suppose I've got the old blue and white specs on again.......
      Objective but passionate

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Saladpack Seagull View Post
      Fair point, Exile, it just saddens me that blokes playing in Sussex don't end up with the Albion. Suppose I've got the old blue and white specs on again.......
      Of course we'd all love that (Not that this lad is a Sussex boy - he's found his way to Lewes at 20, via Barnet, Aldershot and Farnborough).

But is this chap actually any good? A few flashes of course, to have attracted a bit of attention, but the reality is that at the age of 20, he's playing for the side rock bottom of the Ryman League. There may well be a raw talent, but he's not influencing games to the point they are winning them - and this some 5 or 6 leagues below the Championship.

Same situation with Greg Luer - a player who had achieved a lot more in non-league than this - big moan up on here about how the Albion had missed out. He's barely kicked a ball for Hull since.
      Stand or Fall
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      PL teams can take a gamble on someone, offering them £1 a week on a two year contract (just a guess). £100k is nothing in the PL but it is all extra debt to anyone outside of it.

Having a trial and West Brom and Palace and getting the papers talking about Spurs and Liverpool probably means that he has a good agent.

0 Not allowed!
      Maybe he was scouted, had a trial and our management didn't think he was good enough ? We don't know he's been 'missed'.......
      "Prejudice is a great time saver. You can form opinions without having to get the facts"

2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Exile View Post
      Of course we'd all love that (Not that this lad is a Sussex boy - he's found his way to Lewes at 20, via Barnet, Aldershot and Farnborough).

But is this chap actually any good? A few flashes of course, to have attracted a bit of attention, but the reality is that at the age of 20, he's playing for the side rock bottom of the Ryman League. There may well be a raw talent, but he's not influencing games to the point they are winning them - and this some 5 or 6 leagues below the Championship.

Same situation with Greg Luer - a player who had achieved a lot more in non-league than this - big moan up on here about how the Albion had missed out. He's barely kicked a ball for Hull since.
      Very harsh on Luer who is doing very well at Hull, to go from playing for Burgess Hill to game time at Hull and regularly around there first team squad is quite an acheivement in my opinion
      Time for some proper football, win lose or draw :-)
      Objective but passionate

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Marshy View Post
      Very harsh on Luer who is doing very well at Hull, to go from playing for Burgess Hill to game time at Hull and regularly around there first team squad is quite an acheivement in my opinion
      Fair. Not really a comment on Luer himself - more the reaction from some on here, as though we'd passed up Thomas Mueller.
      Stand or Fall