Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

SSSSSHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Apr 30, 2013
It's grim oop north
After all the excitement with the S.A strikers on/off/on/off/on/off transfers and general transfer chat all over Twitter and here..... how bloody QUIET has it gone this week.

Just what we needed after and absolute cluster**** of results was a big name signing, or at least some rumblings.

This week has been so slow, and dragged like hell.

Perhaps we're keeping our powder dry until after tomorrow so we can scoop Rhodes for a cool £10m and stomp up the league again? Or maybe we're deep in Matt Derbyshire negotiations?!!!!!!

After all the excitement with the S.A strikers on/off/on/off/on/off transfers and general transfer chat all over Twitter and here..... how bloody QUIET has it gone this week.

Just what we needed after and absolute cluster**** of results was a big name signing, or at least some rumblings.

This week has been so slow, and dragged like hell.

Perhaps we're keeping our powder dry until after tomorrow so we can scoop Rhodes for a cool £10m and stomp up the league again? Or maybe we're deep in Matt Derbyshire negotiations?!!!!!!

Don't want to be negative, but BHA don't do BIG striker signings, we don't even do AVERAGE centre forward signing on fees. Really disappointing, but the Championship is not a bad place to reside in. Think we will do an Ipswich & be here for at least 10 years. Really hope that I am wrong & this post is bounced, but in nearly 5 years at the Amex, we have never spent large sums on a player

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Don't want to be negative, but BHA don't do BIG striker signings, we don't even do AVERAGE centre forward signing on fees. Really disappointing, but the Championship is not a bad place to reside in. Think we will do an Ipswich & be here for at least 10 years. Really hope that I am wrong & this post is bounced, but in nearly 5 years at the Amex, we have never spent large sums on a player

I think CMS was a BIG signing back in the day, he certainly did turn out to be average at best though....

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016

With the clubs stance on FFP we have never been in a position to spend big, not for the want of money, I think Tony has that covered.

But this year, what with the increased amount of allowed losses, things will be different.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Knockaert was quite a big signing, wasn't he? And there's still over 2 weeks to go in the window.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If we get a big striker you can guarantee it will be late on in the window. These sort of players pay their agents to get the best deal, and when you're competing with clubs with Prem / parachute money it's everybody else holding the aces.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Knockaert was quite a big signing, wasn't he? And there's still over 2 weeks to go in the window.

This is very true, however we have known we have a striker problem for months now, so disappointing that we didn't have something in place for when the window opened. We could well have dropped 12 points or more by the time we get someone decent in. That is assuming we will and to be honest our track record is piss poor on finding decent strikers given our alleged ambition. A loan signing is the best we'll do as far as quality is concerned imo. Let me be wrong!!

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
Not getting too despondent at the moment cos there's lots of time left in this window, but as always, we wait in vain for morale-boosting news while our rivals always seem to be active in the market. At least it's not as bad as all the waiting for news in the Summer! Let,s hope that "Silence is Golden", as the song goes.

ringmerseagulltoo

Feb 16, 2012
This feels a little like being one goal down with twenty minutes to play. No need to panic, plenty of time left. Then all of a sudden the official puts up the board with four minutes added time. Ok, we could still do it. Suddenly the final whistle has gone and still no goal.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
And the transfers that do happen tend to remain under the radar until the last minute.

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
Like [MENTION=6481]steve[/MENTION]foster said being in the championship is not really all that bad is it? but the problem is that just competing in this league is costing TB a tidy sum every year, if he is in a position to spend big on the right player then I am sure he will! but the big signings always happen at the end of the transfer window it is just the nature of the beast, I am confident that the club will have many fingers in many pies.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Wouldn't really matter if we were able to retain the fair number of good strikers we've had in recent years. But we only retain the poor ones.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Really disappointing, but the Championship is not a bad place to reside in. Think we will do an Ipswich & be here for at least 10 years. Really hope that I am wrong & this post is bounced, but in nearly 5 years at the Amex, we have never spent large sums on a player

We would have dreamed about doing that for at least 14 years prior to 2011.

Bracknell_Gull

Jul 4, 2011
Bracknell
With me firmly in the glass half full camp, I'm hoping the radio silence on transfers (or even rumours for that matter) is an indication that we are working on targets and an exciting announcement will come completely out of the blue. Most likely a name we've never heard of, as was the case in the latter stages of the summer window.

I'm also hoping that the reason I haven't heard from Eva Mendes regarding a date is because she is still deciding which outfit to wear to impress me.....

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
This is very true, however we have known we have a striker problem for months now, so disappointing that we didn't have something in place for when the window opened. We could well have dropped 12 points or more by the time we get someone decent in. That is assuming we will and to be honest our track record is piss poor on finding decent strikers given our alleged ambition. A loan signing is the best we'll do as far as quality is concerned imo. Let me be wrong!!
We did have something in place when the window opened: an offer accepted by Boca for JC, and possibly similar for Bolanos. What we can't control is that the player has to agree to the move, and that they will often wait until the last minute to see make sure that their options/wages are maximised.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Just seems we are going back to the bargain bucket again, when everyone else has rummaged through it for weeks on end,
we have a look at the shat left in the very bottom and take a chance on it, when really its not fit to play Sunday League.

Wouldn't really matter if we were able to retain the fair number of good strikers we've had in recent years. But we only retain the poor ones.

In 4 1/2 years at The Amex, in my opinion we have had one decent striker in Ulloa. Ashley Barnes perhaps there is a case for. As for the rest (meh). I really cannot see the club splashing out on a big ticket forward now. The time to do that was in the summer & whilst Hemed at £2m I believe is reasonable, the club would have to spend much more on a top forward to get us into the top 2. Perhaps we will get that last minute signing on D day that everyone hopes for - however, if the club was really that adventurous/ambitious & keen he would have been with us earlier in the month ...

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I'm struggling to come to terms with people not seeing BHA making a $10m bid for Boca Juniors striker as ambitious. The fact that we've not landed him at the beginning of the window is down to him (his dad) trying to get the best deal possible by waiting until our offer is about to become invalid at the end of the month.

I'd be surprised if we hadn't offered such a player a deal that eclipses all our previous salaries (and probably his existing salary). However, it doesn't really matter how much we offered; his agent is always going to wait until the end of Jan to see if a premier league club from whatever country either matches or improves that offer.

Have I completely mis-judged how negotiations work, or am I one of the few that can recognise this?

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here