Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

TV buying advice requested

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Help wanted good folk of NSC.

I want to have a 40" HD wall mounted LCD TV, lightweight preferably (wall is lath and plaster so cannot support too much weight even with spread load plate.
Internet enabled preferably wireless but if need be by lead from a router and/or Freesat receiver located about 15m (cable length) away
Want to have integral stereo speakers (preferably virtual Surroundsound)
Don't want to spend more than £500 , much less if possible

Any idea what I should be looking for?

thx

TNBA

TTF

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
You should be able to use Powerline adapters to get it internet enabled and avoid cables to the router etc.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Could wait until the natives of Croydon get restless again and start their pyrotechnics with late night electrical acquisitions.

Bargains to be had there I would guess.

Miximate

Aug 30, 2012
Mid Sussex
Always used 'Hills of Hove' in Boundary Road, Portslade as they are experts in the field and very helpful, however, having just seen your location, thats probably not going to work! - Maybe worth a call though?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Make sure it doesn't have valves and you can get colour and BBC 2. They're not above fobbing you off trust me.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
At 40" don't bother with 4K, its just not big enough to justify it plus content will be very limited. Better off with a FHD with a decent image processor

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
A new TV should be Wi-Fi enabled so you can connect to internet without need for cables. Your only cables should be aerial / hdmi

mxs_harrow

Jan 20, 2009
HA5
If you are in Glasgow you have access to local John Lewis and Richer Sounds Stores. Higher spec TVs have faster image processing, typically more/faster CPU and anything with twin tuners means you can watch and record from another channel onto an attached hard disk at the same time. Decent soundbar (also wall-mountable) - will augment sound well, especially with integral sub-woofer. Make sure you are a Richer Sounds VIP member to get additional discounts off clearance (on-box) or ex-service items. These will still have the same warranty. Go to which.co.uk to verify "Best Buy" recommendations.

Also What HiFi Sound and Vision magazine online - 4 star and above reviews 40 inch TVs

http://www.whathifi.com/products/tvs/led-tvs?f[0]=product_features_ss%3AWi-Fi&f[1]=Screen_Size_Inches_fs%3A40.0&f[4]=WHF.is_field_rating_l%3A4

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Bear in mind also that it is uncomfortable looking up towards a TV for any length of time, so wall mount at eye level or lower. Think theatre, cinema etc always looking down which is natural.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
A new TV should be Wi-Fi enabled so you can connect to internet without need for cables. Your only cables should be aerial / hdmi

Aren't Smart TV's a waste of money? Chrome cast, Amazon Fire, Apple TV, Games consoles etc. all turn a normal telly into a smart wireless tv don't they?

mxs_harrow

Jan 20, 2009
HA5
All decent TVs are "smart" now - it's very cheap building a CPU and Wi-Fi/network interface into a television, ditto tablets and smartphones. If you have a non-smart good quality 720p TV, then the connectivity provided by Chromecast, Roku, Smart Blu-Ray players, games consoles is a good upgrade as long as the cost is managed.

Good quality 1080p TVs are cheap, especially if buying ex-display 2013/14/15 models - the 2016 releases will be out in March/April, triggering further price cuts of top end older models. For Samsung, 6400 upwards series are the best bet in terms of performance and specification.

http://www.richersounds.com/showclearanceproduct/buy/SAMS-UE40H6400-ES/Samsung+Ue40h6400+ES.html

Take a further 10% off price for being VIP member - so £315

Last edited:

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
At 40" don't bother with 4K, its just not big enough to justify it plus content will be very limited. Better off with a FHD with a decent image processor

errrr what? With 4k the quality of the picture is improved, regardless of the size of the screen. I would argue that 40" is big enough unless for some reason you sit very far from your TV.

Agree content is currently limited but most expect it to vastly increase in 2016/17 therefore you are future proofing with your purchase instead of buying out dated tech.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
errrr what? With 4k the quality of the picture is improved, regardless of the size of the screen. I would argue that 40" is big enough unless for some reason you sit very far from your TV.

Agree content is currently limited but most expect it to vastly increase in 2016/17 therefore you are future proofing with your purchase instead of buying out dated tech.

Cable TV channels won't, for a long time, broadcast in 4k so not worth the extra. If someone is using freesat it will never be 4k.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield

Think it's been pretty much proved that on screens less than about 50" 4k is pointless. There was a good link on another thread on here not long ago.

Also it's gonna be superseded soon, there's hardly any content etc etc. I wouldn't bother unless it's a massive bargain.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here