Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Warren Aspinall in the Argus

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
His insight makes listening to the commentary worth while. He even has his own hashtag #prayforwarren.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Terrific analysis, as ever, from WA. All interesting insights.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
He may have trouble stringing sentences together, and multi-syllable words are a foreign country to him, but he does understand football.

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
Pretty spot on, although im not sure about swapping Crofts in for one of Kayal or Stephens.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Warren is bang on the money with his observations there.

We have been sussed out and the left back position is a serious concern. I was hoping that Ridgewell had that covered but, from reports on Tuesday, it doesn't seem to be his favoured position..

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
Interesting piece. Hope some of it sinks in with the powers that be.

He is part of the scouting network, isn't he? Let's hope this does filter back, though I would hope Houghton knows this already.

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
Pretty spot on, although im not sure about swapping Crofts in for one of Kayal or Stephens.

Maybe they need to be rested a bit? At the start of the season, we were bossing the midfield, but for the last few games our opponents have gone through us like a hot knife through butter.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Keep it simple, increase the tempo and work harder for each other.
That is how former Albion midfielder Warren Aspinall believes his old team can turn their season around.
Aspinall has been outspoken in criticism of some aspects of the Seagulls work as he follows them around the country in his role as summariser for BBC Radio Sussex.

Apart from the obvious defensive errors and missed chances, he saw other areas where Chris Hughton’s side have been lacking.
He told The Argus: “Teams have worked us out. They know if you let Brighton play, they will pass you off the park.
“They are saying ‘we need to get in their faces’ and we are not addressing that properly. Players think they have a lot of time. When Brighton are put under pressure, passes go astray.
“You need to match them for work and you need people willing to make runs off the ball and create space for others.
“You need unselfish runs and I can’t see that. The two strikers on Tuesday were too static. Anybody could have marked them. The fans might not see that but the manager will see it.
“We have to defend properly. Get back to basics. When you have to, put the ball in Row Z and then get your shape.
“When the forwards have made their runs and the ball hasn’t come in, they have had to check. That affects the flow.
“Ridgewell will say to LuaLua ‘I’ll come to the halfway line and support you’ but he is never going to be a Bong on the overlap.”

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
4-4-2 (4-2-4) is flawed

Independently came to the same conclusion. Agree with him. I have said so before.

I use different words but amounts to the same thing.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Maybe they need to be rested a bit? At the start of the season, we were bossing the midfield, but for the last few games our opponents have gone through us like a hot knife through butter.

Kayal was playing with an injury on Tuesday night but Stephens did well.

crabface

Mar 24, 2012

Kayal must be knackered due to the amount of game time he has had this season, however Crofts has been slow since returning from his injury and playing a pressing game im not sure he could keep up.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
We've been weak on the left since losing Bong, Rosenior and Lua Lua? Noooooo really?! Crofts has had plenty of game time and been anonymous every time I've seen him, he is not the answer, maybe for a league One team or lower Championship but not for a promotion pushing team.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
It's a decent piece, but hardly rocket science is it. All a bit "no shit sherlock"

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
We've been weak on the left since losing Bong, Rosenior and Lua Lua? Noooooo really?! Crofts has had plenty of game time and been anonymous every time I've seen him, he is not the answer, maybe for a league One team or lower Championship but not for a promotion pushing team.

Crofts is NOT the answer.

If he isn't, who (or what) is? Is Aspinall on the right track though with his assertion:

"Gordon Greer is a leader. You don’t want ranters and ravers but you need some leadership.

“Crofty is a leader in my eyes. You might have to put him in there and sacrifice one of the other two (Dale Stephens or Beram Kayal).

“Okay, they have had a great start to the season but, at the moment, they are giving the ball away and not playing as well as they started.”

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I am big Warren fan. No bullshit. tells it like he sees it. Refreshing in the 21st century where bullshit and pc flourish

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I will be accused of Crofts bashing as usual...

But we cant improve our speed, tempo of play and passing if Crofts is replacing Kayal or Stephens !

That just goes against everything he is saying... our game slows up when Crofts plays thats been a big problem in the last month, on top of that im sure we are deeper than we were at the start of the season...

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here