[Cricket] 3rd Test: South Africa v England at Johannesburg

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
SA won toss and bat.

SA lost de Kock to injury and is replaced behind the stumps by Dane Vilas

England unchanged

South Africa: Stiaan van Zyl, Dean Elgar, Hashim Amla, AB de Villiers (capt), Faf du Plessis, Temba Bavuma, Dane Vilas (wk), Chris Morris, Kagiso Rabada, Morne Morkel, Hardus Viljoen.

England: Alastair Cook (capt), Alex Hales, Nick Compton, Joe Root, James Taylor, Ben Stokes, Jonny Bairstow (wk), Moeen Ali, Stuart Broad, Steven Finn, James Anderson.

Breakthrough for England in 18th over

van Zyl c Bairstow b Stokes 21

SA 50/1

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Lunch, Day 1

South Africa 73-1 (27 overs)

Elgar 28* Amla 15*

Decent start for South Africa. With cloud overhead and a bit of grass on the wicket they will be the happier side at lunch.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
South Africa definitely have the momentum with them now, we'll do well to avoid a 2-1 series defeat.

pasty

Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Hitting top of middle... with 49% of the ball.

Not out :nono:

90-1

I bloody hate that ruling, it's ridiculous. If it was going to hit the stumps, it is out. End of story. Even the SA commentator is saying that is wrong. DRS is supposed to assist the umpire, so why, when it shows the umpire got it wrong, does it stick with umpires call. :nono:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I bloody hate that ruling, it's ridiculous. If it was going to hit the stumps, it is out. End of story. Even the SA commentator is saying that is wrong. DRS is supposed to assist the umpire, so why, when it shows the umpire got it wrong, does it stick with umpires call. :nono:

The idea is it supports the umpires design which is the principle decision. At the end of the day, LBW is hypothetical - it is either the umpires view of whether hitting, or technology - we can never know for certain if it was going to hit. In that case though, at the very least England shouldn't lose a review because DRS showed it hitting, so they were vindicated in reviewing, even if the decision wasn't turned over.

All that said, that was out, it looked out, and the umpire has given a massive benefit of the doubt to the batsman.

My view is that umpires have actually embraced DRS, and far from feeling undermined by their decisions being overturned, they've been given confidence by the system, supported by it, and making better decision IMO (apart from that last one!). So, drop this umpire's call nonsense, if it goes to DRS, then DRS decides. If the ball is hitting, by say 25% or more (i.e. ruling out the tiny clip) then you are out and the 25% accounts for any variation in the ball flight predictions.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Short spell... Moeen on... hope Broady is OK.

Great change by Captain Cook.... wicket with 2nd ball.

Elgar edge to Bairstow... who hangs on to his 2nd catch.

117-2 (41.2 overs)

pasty

Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Elgar c Bairstow b Ali 46

SA 117/2

Moeen
Moeen Moeen
Moeen Moeen
Moeen Moeen Ali

:clap2:

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
ABdV advances on Moeen Ali, 2nd ball, and smashes it straight for four. And the next one lofted though mid-wicket for four more. Wow.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Ali change was for Finn... Broad continues with deep long and square legs, a forward short leg and a sort of leg gully... short stuff to come...

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Hoovered house top to bottom, cleaned mine and her walking boots and still got most the play. Time for a run monopolising teatime.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here