Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

are sussex folk just shit at football....???

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
can't say that i knew anyone ever fro sussex who made it......lad called chris punter from worthing was brilliant at school level as was a lad called micky topping from lancing....the only lad i know from sussex that has made a living from the game is nicky stavrou from worthing who has made a career for himself in the US of A......why is this ???

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
We're brilliant at Stoolball though.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Knoll boy, Roy Brown Goalkeeper. Tottingham, Reading, etc. There's a few legends in this picture, sadly not me. my time came later. Grammar School Boys will note that the picture is credited to Jack Liddell.

[SUP][/SUP]
12143356_1102549829773052_5874546308596726450_n.jpg

wallyback

Jun 22, 2011
Brighton
can't say that i knew anyone ever fro sussex who made it......lad called chris punter from worthing was brilliant at school level as was a lad called micky topping from lancing....the only lad i know from sussex that has made a living from the game is nicky stavrou from worthing who has made a career for himself in the US of A......why is this ???

I knew Chris.

I played with him for a while on Sundays.

Best footballer I ever played with. He was around 19 at the time.

We would take free-kicks together. My job was to say which corner to put it in, and he would oblige every time :)

He was playing for Worthing on Saturdays.

If I remember rightly, he turned a car over and did his back, and was never the same player again.

Such a big shame.

A couple of other good players around that time were Alan Dawes, Jason Rutherford, Steve Farrell, Graham Rice.

May be scouting in Sussex back then was not covered so well

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I knew Chris.

I played with him for a while on Sundays.

Best footballer I ever played with. He was around 19 at the time.

We would take free-kicks together. My job was to say which corner to put it in, and he would oblige every time :)

He was playing for Worthing on Saturdays.

If I remember rightly, he turned a car over and did his back, and was never the same player again.

Such a big shame.

A couple of other good players around that time were Alan Dawes, Jason Rutherford, Steve Farrell, Graham Rice.

May be scouting in Sussex back then was not covered so well

used to play against him ...he played for southdown i played for manor 30 ...i nut megged him once , he hated it......had a ridiculous long throw and a deadly boot on him.....i think he came into some money and went off the tracks which would include the car crash....was steve farrell from littlehampton/ rustington...?...i played west sussex reps a few times but the only lads i can remember are paul miller and steve charman from worthing.....most of the lads were from chichester / midhurst area...posh twatts...!!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I thought you were going to say '& supporting their team', which would have been a resounding yes, we are.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'm from Sussex, and fairly shit at football, if that helps?

This probably needs a bigger sample to be conclusive, though.

wallyback

Jun 22, 2011
Brighton
used to play against him ...he played for southdown i played for manor 30 ...i nut megged him once , he hated it......had a ridiculous long throw and a deadly boot on him.....i think he came into some money and went off the tracks which would include the car crash....was steve farrell from littlehampton/ rustington...?...i played west sussex reps a few times but the only lads i can remember are paul miller and steve charman from worthing.....most of the lads were from chichester / midhurst area...posh twatts...!!

Well there you have it!

Too many posh twats in Sussex.

According to the book "Why England Always lose" the number of working class players are particularly high, compared to the rest of Europe.

If you are middle class or any have any middle class pretensions you were given a hard time.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
The OP asks a good question and of course logically it would be stupid to say that somehow Sussex in particular wouldn't produce outstanding footballers, Sussex is neither all grassy fields or beach huts there is as much nitty gritty (if thats whats needed) than most other Counties too.

Our own Sussex population is somewhere near 1,600,000, below only Greater London, West Midlands, Greater Manchester, West Yorkshire then we are similar to Kent, Hampshire, Essex whilst Sussex is 'bigger' than everywhere else, including Lancashire, Merseyside, South Yorkshire, Tyne and Wear, Nottinghamshire and other mythical so called 'hotbeds' of potential.

I would pose the question does Brighton Hove Albion FC's recruitment department support the identification, support and opportunity to Sussex based youngsters ahead of lets say the current trend of recruiting in say Ireland, Iceland, USA, Norway ??

Probably not and hasnt done since we have had a dedicated academy recruitment department that feel they have to justify their own position by looking further afield and taking punts at those no better than youngsters here in Sussex and no I am not a disgruntled Dad !!

The current academy is less productive, less successful than when Wilkins got the youth team to the quarter finals of the FA Youth Cup over 10 years ago exclusively with Sussex based youngsters and competing in something resembling Cat 2 academy and the jury's out whether it is critical for Brighton to unsuccessfully hone their skills against the likes of Chelsea, Arsenal or Tottenham each week, thats just vanity.

There is no logic to say our academy needs time, time for what exactly, thats for bedding plants and trees ?

Technical player development doesnt require manicured pitches or 5 star canteens, it requires expertise, we have not won a single FA Youth Cup game in 4 seasons and nothing to suggest we will anytime soon, so trim down the academy recruitment department busily collecting their air-miles and identify and appoint a super-skilled academy director and coaches that are willing to use Sussex based youngsters, not exclusively but preferably rather than recruit from from elsewhere and focus on this alone rather than expecting a coach to somehow fulfil some recruitment directors vested interest.

There is no evidence that by doing so will somehow adversely effect the success of our academy, quite the contrary, so in answer to the OP I think Sussex is more than capable of competing nationally with any other area, absolutely.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here