Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Worst goal drought since 1970

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Just shows confidence is a massive factor in football.

We need to get back to basic and re-group we are better than this...

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
It's a bit like listening to Bohemian Rhapsody but when the guitar solo should start it turns into I'm A Barbie Girl.

Rancid

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
It is absolutely awful !

When however we were on that run of wins ( God knows how ) we never managed EVER any better than a one goal margin.

We have arguably one of the best midfield partnerships in Kayal and Stephens so where is the problem ?

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Didn't Brighton have a minus goal difference when reaching the play off final 1991 v Notts County?

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
It is absolutely awful !

When however we were on that run of wins ( God knows how ) we never managed EVER any better than a one goal margin.

We have arguably one of the best midfield partnerships in Kayal and Stephens so where is the problem ?

I wonder where this team would be without Kayal and Stephens.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
Are they even that good? I'm starting to even doubt my own sanity

If Kayal stopped moaning about how many games we played over the holiday period and concentrated on his football he might regain his early season form

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
We dont get the ball wide enough and insist on trying to walk it through the middle of opposition defences and on the odd occasions we do get it wide and get a cross in, theres only 1 or 2 in the box for it, marked by 4/5 defenders.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Kayal and Stephen have been sussed out by the opposition managers and are now marked closer so they are receiving the ball when they are under pressure or closely marked so unable to release it forward as quick as they did early season. They need better service from the back four and an experienced btain to play alongsid them, what we have in JFC, Ince and even Crofts are not good enough now

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I was around in that run in 1970, not that I remember the details too much.

Freddie Goodwin had been lured away by Birmingham City and free scoring Albion lost his whole management team.. The new boss was Pat Saward on his 1st job. We ditched the blue shirts/white sleeves and joined the one colour bland kit club (OK, the all white with blue trim did look rather smart but was not 'Brighton')

Saward fell out with Alex Dawson, preferring Alan Gilliver, one of those lanky forwards that somehow have spells of scoring jammy goals. Kit Napier was played more as a wide player and we just didn't have anyone who looked like scoring. And we also had Alan Duffy who didn't fit into saward's plans and had trouble fitting into his own kit!

We had some dour 0-0, against Torquay (before the run even started) and against Port Vale, one of the worse games ever. They parked the bus and whacked the ball anywhere. A young Brian Horton was in their team.

Eventually we broke the duck with an unlikely 2-0 win v Wrexham, I believe they were both long range efforts and may have been filmed.

Saward eventually got the team together. Inspired loans like Bert Murray & Willie Irvine saw us move into mid table. The next season the stripes were back and we won promotion with one of the most exciting teams ever with 5 players scoring in double figures.

I r

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
We dont get the ball wide enough and insist on trying to walk it through the middle of opposition defences and on the odd occasions we do get it wide and get a cross in, theres only 1 or 2 in the box for it, marked by 4/5 defenders.

I will suggest it's the reverse of this. Too often we go for the simple ball out wide, then cross. Too predictable; but that's rigid 442 for you.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
I was around in that run in 1970, not that I remember the details too much.

Freddie Goodwin had been lured away by Birmingham City and free scoring Albion lost his whole management team.. The new boss was Pat Saward on his 1st job. We ditched the blue shirts/white sleeves and joined the one colour bland kit club (OK, the all white with blue trim did look rather smart but was not 'Brighton')

Saward fell out with Alex Dawson, preferring Alan Gilliver, one of those lanky forwards that somehow have spells of scoring jammy goals. Kit Napier was played more as a wide player and we just didn't have anyone who looked like scoring. And we also had Alan Duffy who didn't fit into saward's plans and had trouble fitting into his own kit!

We had some dour 0-0, against Torquay (before the run even started) and against Port Vale, one of the worse games ever. They parked the bus and whacked the ball anywhere. A young Brian Horton was in their team.

Eventually we broke the duck with an unlikely 2-0 win v Wrexham, I believe they were both long range efforts and may have been filmed.

Saward eventually got the team together. Inspired loans like Bert Murray & Willie Irvine saw us move into mid table. The next season the stripes were back and we won promotion with one of the most exciting teams ever with 5 players scoring in double figures.

I r

Bert Murray wasn't a loan. He was bought for 5000 quid raised from the fans.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
We also lost 18 games in that play off season

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here