Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hughton's negative tactics from last season have returned?

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Seems to me since Bong/Rosenior got injured we have been trying to entirely focus on defending and trying to 'nick' goals. We have to set up to attack teams with the players we've got, look at Burnley 5-0 away to MK Dons, a result we could only dream of even when in form.

The tactics need to be addressed and fast, if I was TB i'd think twice about investing a large amount on a striker currently.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Well he's stuck with 4-4-2 in which should be attacking...Somethings not bloody right we all know that.

4-4-2 is only a formation, not a mindset. If the wingers aren't being allowed to express themselves in an attacking sense and told instead to keep it tight and cover the fullbacks we won't offer much going forward.

The defensive mistakes have been a shambles but also compounded by our sudden lack of scoring.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
11 wins, 4 loses. Goal difference is just 4. Scoring a problem, need for a striker getting more and more obvious.

Lush

Mods' Pet
When other teams attack, they have 2,3,4 or more players piling forward at speed into the box.

We're lucky if we have 1 or 2, and for some reason think that it's a better idea for players to come trotting up behind the play, then waiting outside the box, hoping to get a long shot past the defenders or to thread the ball through in some fashion.

Obviously this means that we're better able to get back on the counter attack, but you don't win the league by drawing 0-0 - and that assumes you don't make the kind of cock-up we've seen in recent games.

Madness :nono:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Well he's stuck with 4-4-2 in which should be attacking...Somethings not bloody right we all know that.

missing too many first teamers, with couple of the remaining one "confidence players", that do well and shine when everything is rosey but deterioate when things aren't. team needs goals and a couple of wins quickly to turn it around.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Seems to me since Bong/Rosenior got injured we have been trying to entirely focus on defending and trying to 'nick' goals. We have to set up to attack teams with the players we've got, look at Burnley 5-0 away to MK Dons, a result we could only dream of even when in form.

The tactics need to be addressed and fast, if I was TB i'd think twice about investing a large amount on a striker currently.

If that's the case, the players would be better off ignoring what the manager has said when they're on the pitch.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
I'll add to that we attack at such a pedestrian rate it gives the opposition all the time in the world to get everyone behind the ball. Whereas most opposing teams attack at pace which is some that appears beyond us

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
I'll add to that we attack at such a pedestrian rate it gives the opposition all the time in the world to get everyone behind the ball. Whereas most opposing teams attack at pace which is some that appears beyond us

And don't mention the pathetic floaty free kicks and corners. Shite.

D

Deleted member 2719

I agree the passing from midfield seems to go side to side all day long, so easy to defend , I just hope they are not coached to do this.

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008

This. We moved the ball quickly in the first half of the season, since the Boro defeat we have become pedestrian and it is noticeable that Stephens delays passing quickly, even Kayal does not drive forward as he did earlier in the season. The wingers are playing deeper and this appears to be a trait by Hughton when the side is struggling like last season. He couldn't turn it round last season. Let's hope he can this time round. If we play higher up the pitch especially at home then I am sure the players would respond with goals and take pressure off the defence. At the moment the manager is playing fear football trying not to lose and also not to win.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
When other teams attack, they have 2,3,4 or more players piling forward at speed into the box.

We're lucky if we have 1 or 2, and for some reason think that it's a better idea for players to come trotting up behind the play, then waiting outside the box, hoping to get a long shot past the defenders or to thread the ball through in some fashion.

Obviously this means that we're better able to get back on the counter attack, but you don't win the league by drawing 0-0 - and that assumes you don't make the kind of cock-up we've seen in recent games.

Madness :nono:

We've done this since Poyet as well. Always confuses me how we always seem to be so slow at getting up the pitch.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here