Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] OT New York

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
I know this has possibly been asked before, but I'm going to New York for Easter (its my 50th b/day treat) and I wonder what the good folk of NSC can offer up as suggestions on what to see/do?

In particular, any tips with regard to the main tourist sites i.e best time to go during the day - for instance would people recommend (if its possible) to take a view from Empire State Building at night or during the day?

Also, any other non tourist places that I should consider?

Thanks very much

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Yes, it has been discussed several times... from our visit last June... I would thoroughly recommend walking the High Line, walking across Brooklyn Bridge and visiting the Lower East Side Tenement Museum among many others.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
We chose to take a Circle Line boat trip from Pier 83, down the Hudson, out to Statue of Liberty (but not stopping) and up the East River... I think it was called their 'Landmark Cruise'... it was a really good option.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Yes, it has been discussed several times... from our visit last June... I would thoroughly recommend walking the High Line, walking across Brooklyn Bridge and visiting the Lower East Side Tenement Museum among many others.

This was one of our days taking in the High Line and the Brooklyn Bridge etc. I'd been up early and run 7 or 8 miles through a snowy Central Park first.

11034284_10152654012121811_8082647427645096003_n.jpg

If I were only going to do one tall building, I'd do Top of the Rock because you get to see the Empire State in full glory. Go late afternoon and see the sun go down and the lights come on.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Central Park is MUCH BIGGER than we imagined... so you need to plan any time you spend there carefully... we walked for HOURS!

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
If it's the first time in Manhattan, I'd advise staying within 10 minutes walking distance of Times Square so you're right in the thick of it.
For my next trip over to NYC, I'll look at staying in Brooklyn or Upper East/West Side to explore more of the City.

• The Tube is easy to navigate, as are the streets in Manhattan.
  • Go to the Top of the Rock during the day and Empire State at night.
  • See a show on Broadway.
  • Walk the Brooklyn Bridge, Wall Street, Chinatown and 9/11 museum all in one day's trip.
  • Grab some street food and spend half a day exploring Central Park.
  • See a Rangers game.
  • Walk the High Line.

Loads of good tips in these threads.

Thread One
Thread Two
Thread Three

Last edited:

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I know this has possibly been asked before, but I'm going to New York for Easter (its my 50th b/day treat) and I wonder what the good folk of NSC can offer up as suggestions on what to see/do?

In particular, any tips with regard to the main tourist sites i.e best time to go during the day - for instance would people recommend (if its possible) to take a view from Empire State Building at night or during the day?

Also, any other non tourist places that I should consider?

Thanks very much

Give the search bar a shot, there are a few threads on this topic which contain RIDICULOUS amounts of advice and recommendations. You'll love it over there :) :thumbsup:

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Do try and go to a ball game... .Yankee Stadium was a great evening out!

Our mid price seats on the 'Terrace level' were fine - great panoramic view.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
The best shop in NY, by a mile, is Yellow Rat B*stard.

Williamsburg if you like records and veggie food. Central Park if you like running.

Don't go if there are any hurricane warnings or you could end up having to leave a week early on a plane full of windswept curmudgeons.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I'm off to NYC Thursday and can't wait! Went three years ago and will be trying some of the suggestions I didn't have time for last time.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I stayed at The Roger New York on Madison ave. 2 blocks from empire state, 5 minutes from Times sq, 10-15 from central park. Free wine tasting for an hour every day at 5😋.

P.s I agree with everything titanic has said. I can't wait to go back someday, awesome place.

juliant

Apr 4, 2011
Northamptonshire
I'm off to NYC Thursday and can't wait! Went three years ago and will be trying some of the suggestions I didn't have time for last time.

Same !! On the BA AM flight out of Heathrow. Never been before and neither has the other half. Have been reading these threads to swot up on it so it looks like I know what im talking about :whistle:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Brooklyn Bridge really isn't that impressive, you can't see much except when you're right in the middle?

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
Same !! On the BA AM flight out of Heathrow. Never been before and neither has the other half. Have been reading these threads to swot up on it so it looks like I know what im talking about :whistle:

Im going tomoz....gonna try and watch the Blackburn game in a bar on Sat morning as Bein are showing it!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here