Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

OT - Paypal

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
It's well known that Ebay owns Paypal and that scammers use this fact to claim they have not received Ebay goods and get a refund as well as the goods.

Well what happens if you use Paypal for a transaction outside of Ebay. Do Paypal still respond to buyers 'complaints' or is it more like a normal bank transfer which once received stays in your account.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
It's well known that Ebay owns Paypal and that scammers use this fact to claim they have not received Ebay goods and get a refund as well as the goods.

Well what happens if you use Paypal for a transaction outside of Ebay. Do Paypal still respond to buyers 'complaints' or is it more like a normal bank transfer which once received stays in your account.

Not totally answering your question here but I'll never buy anything using Paypal for anything other than Ebay after an experience I had with House of Fraser.

I bought a dress (ahem) and a shirt for click and collect at the Oxford Street Branch. When collected the dress had a hole in it and the shirt was too small (fat *******) so I took it back to the store for a refund. Went to the click and collect desk and it was 'oh you paid by Paypal you'll need to go to a till'. Waited at a till 'hmmm not sure what to do about this as you paid by Paypal'.
Waited for supervisor 'Oh you paid by Paypal you will need to return this yourself and apply for a refund'. After almost 45 minutes and a bit of debating with me saying 'you'll have to get security to remove me from the store as I'm not leaving until I get a refund' my calmer other half, noticing we weren't going to get anywhere dragged me away and we left.
Apparently it's all the T&Cs that we all read right? so buyer beware when it comes to paying by Paypal from a high street store.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Not totally answering your question here but I'll never buy anything using Paypal for anything other than Ebay after an experience I had with House of Fraser.

I bought a dress (ahem) and a shirt for click and collect at the Oxford Street Branch. When collected the dress had a hole in it and the shirt was too small (fat *******) so I took it back to the store for a refund. Went to the click and collect desk and it was 'oh you paid by Paypal you'll need to go to a till'. Waited at a till 'hmmm not sure what to do about this as you paid by Paypal'.
Waited for supervisor 'Oh you paid by Paypal you will need to return this yourself and apply for a refund'. After almost 45 minutes and a bit of debating with me saying 'you'll have to get security to remove me from the store as I'm not leaving until I get a refund' my calmer other half, noticing we weren't going to get anywhere dragged me away and we left.
Apparently it's all the T&Cs that we all read right? so buyer beware when it comes to paying by Paypal from a high street store.

That seems more like a House of Fraser issue than a Paypal issue.

Paypal and Ebay separated a while back.

Paypal will offer the same buy protection that your credit card will, whether you buy through Ebay or elsewhere.

I speak from the experience of having had my company work with Paypal for a number of years.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
It is explained when you buy online using PayPal that returns cannot be taken to the store. Whereas the store could refund direct to the payment method if you buy with credit card or debit card, they can't do this with PayPal. My wife uses PayPal whenever she can online but she knew this fact when I showed her this post. Don't think it's hidden in the terms & conditions.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Paypal and Ebay separated a while back.

Paypal will offer the same buy protection that your credit card will, whether you buy through Ebay or elsewhere.

I speak from the experience of having had my company work with Paypal for a number of years.

I understand what you have written, but lets look at a specific case used by scammers. You sell a second hand item (not ebay) which is accurately described. The buyer (scammer) then claims it did not arrive or was broken etc. With E bay / Paypal they can and often do apply for and get a full refund.

Can Paypal just refund the money in the case I have mentioned, as certainly your bank would not refund.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here