Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Amsterdam break

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Is it still a good place to go if you are not interested in drugs or hookers?

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Been there many times down the years, don't do drugs or pay for leg-over.
Fantastic city, I would always recommend it for a weekend break.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
It's a great city for a short break owing to it's relatively small size. Lots of interesting things to do in the day and a great restaurant and bar scene.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Good museums to visit. (Dodge the nemo museum) Rent a bike and cycle around vondel park. Visit the oldest botanical garden in the world and go on a nice canal cruise around the city. Beautiful city, even at night. You won't see many better.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Flight prices are very reasonable i agree. Would love to cycle but i have damaged my coccyx which appears to be permanent. Will certainly look into this. Going to Krakow in Oct for 5 nights. Fancy squeezing in another short break before the year is out. Already going to Turkey in the summer.

Boston28

Feb 7, 2014
Plus friendly locals who speak English, and return flights for £60. Can't go wrong.

I just booked a three day trip at the start of March, £39 return from Gatwick. Couldn't believe the price my ticket to go see Ajax is only £4 less!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I| was always under the impression that Amsterdam is a lovely city but more expensive than London. Last went there when I was smoking cigars so pre 1995 and found the hotels very expensive but it may well have changed by now.

Dec 29, 2011
I just booked a three day trip at the start of March, £39 return from Gatwick. Couldn't believe the price my ticket to go see Ajax is only £4 less!

Lucky git. For the poster above in my experience it's cheaper or about the same price as London

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Lucky git. For the poster above in my experience it's cheaper or about the same price as London

wouldnt argue as I said I havent been there for about 20 years. I only ever went because cigars were much cheaper there than any where else in Europe at the time and I smoked quite heavy. so it wasa good saving and a couple of days break. We usually went Mon to Thurs because of having the pub and being back for the weekend. We always drove usually Ramsgate to Dunkirk on the Swedish Lines cant rememeber their name.. Olau?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Good for a short break, went last year, rained profusely every day. Beer is a bit expensive, if I remember rightly, but enjoyed the place anyway. Hooker and drug free break too.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Rijksmuseum and the Van Gogh museum are among the best in the world (if you like Dutch old masters and, err, Van Gogh). A great city for a weekend break - few better imo

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU

HHGull

BZ fan club
Dec 29, 2011
Beautiful city. One of my favourites.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Amsterdam is a great city despite the drugs and hookers, not because of them.

Also, Amsterdam doesn't hold a monopoly on drugs and hookers in the Netherlands.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Rijksmuseum and the Van Gogh museum are among the best in the world (if you like Dutch old masters and, err, Van Gogh). A great city for a weekend break - few better imo

Another vote for the Rijksmuseum...... not just for the old masters, they are quite keen on the exhibits captured from us when giving the Royal Navy a thrashing at the Battle of Medway.....ahem.

The atmospheric WWII museum is fascinating to see how the City struggled under German occupation and how the Dutch resistance fought back (if that's your thing). Plus the new Bibliotheque near the central rail station is handy and has a nice Deli restaurant on the top floor giving great views across the canals and waterways around the City.

Regular scheduled flights from many UK regional airports. Fast train into the City from Schipol, then a choice of easy walking, canal boat tours and/or the 2-3 day tram pass. All good value.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Also, Amsterdam doesn't hold a monopoly on drugs and hookers in the Netherlands.

Tis true, but it is the only city in the Netherlands where the RLD has inexplicably become a tourist attraction, rather than somewhere that normal people avoid.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
wouldnt argue as I said I havent been there for about 20 years. I only ever went because cigars were much cheaper there than any where else in Europe at the time and I smoked quite heavy. so it wasa good saving and a couple of days break. We usually went Mon to Thurs because of having the pub and being back for the weekend. We always drove usually Ramsgate to Dunkirk on the Swedish Lines cant rememeber their name.. Olau?

The ferry was The Sally Lines owned by a Swedish Co,

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here