Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Beach Hut Market ??

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .
Seeking some local knowledge of various aspects of the Beach Hut market along Hove seafront.
My sister is toying with the idea buying one after anecdotally hearing that they sell for around £15 - 20k and can be rented out up to £350 a week in peak season.
That rental figure sounds optimistically high but of more importance would be what would a yearly rental on a Hut realistically amount to ?
Historically how have the capital gains been and would I be right in assuming that no bank or financial institution would lend against a purchase OR possibly would if the deposit was set high enough and
funds were available at interest rates closer to personal loans rather than mortgage rates ?
Any information forthcoming would be thoroughly appreciated - thank you.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
You are more than welcome to my market, come on down......

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I'd be utterly amazed if your sister could find a bank willing to lend money for a beach hut. Equally that she could rent it out for £350 a week regularly enough to make any sort of return - and that's assuming you are allowed to do that - I'm pretty sure the council don't allow that. An utterly bonkers investment idea IMHO.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Mum bought one for £2000 in 2004. Bottom of the Drive, prime location. Left it to me and now worth £12,000 to £15,000. No need to consider CGT, as yet, as within CGT allowance. Would expect to not ever have to pay CGT on it, as it would be a voluntary payment.
The yearly rent also has a business rates supplement. They total in the region of £400 pa. last year used the hut about twice or £200 a visit!
You rent the piece of Tarmac underneath and own the beach hut yourself.
People do rent them out and it doesn't seem to be a problem. Mean to look into it ourselves but too lazy. The main issue would be the immediate neighbours. We are at the end of a line by steps and hardly ever see neighbouring huts occupied. Perfect but if you rent out next to some sweet, old lady who is there every day to enjoy the peace and quiet you will have trouble as she can complain to the Seafront Officer.
The rental season must be short. Possibly only summer holidays and dependent on weather.
So unless your sister wants to maintain an expensive shed open to the elements and pay a high rent for her own enjoyment rather than business, I would say NO.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I forgot insurance. Around £300? I don't pay it but if hut blows over, vandalised or set on fire, £3000 rebuild costs.
As Westdene said unlikely to get a mortgage not even from an Icelandic Bank back in early 2006. May get a personal loan depending on financial position.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I'm curious. Some huts seem to have power. How do they do that?

The ones I've seen with power (on the Norfolk coast where a friend *ahem* has three) have a little portable generator.

On topic - wouldn't have thought it was a sensible investment, tbh. EDIT: For income purposes, I mean. As a capital investment - that's a different story, depending on location. Don't know anything about values in Hove, I'm afraid.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I have one (FOR SALE) down at Rustington (Sea Lane Estate) they go from £17,000 upwards with private parking and lovely frilly flags inside!

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .
Mum bought one for £2000 in 2004. Bottom of the Drive, prime location. Left it to me and now worth £12,000 to £15,000. No need to consider CGT, as yet, as within CGT allowance. Would expect to not ever have to pay CGT on it, as it would be a voluntary payment.
The yearly rent also has a business rates supplement. They total in the region of £400 pa. last year used the hut about twice or £200 a visit!
You rent the piece of Tarmac underneath and own the beach hut yourself.
People do rent them out and it doesn't seem to be a problem. Mean to look into it ourselves but too lazy. The main issue would be the immediate neighbours. We are at the end of a line by steps and hardly ever see neighbouring huts occupied. Perfect but if you rent out next to some sweet, old lady who is there every day to enjoy the peace and quiet you will have trouble as she can complain to the Seafront Officer.
The rental season must be short. Possibly only summer holidays and dependent on weather.
So unless your sister wants to maintain an expensive shed open to the elements and pay a high rent for her own enjoyment rather than business, I would say NO.

Cheers Knocky, that's good info.
That's an exceptional 600-750% capital gain in the space of only 12 years. Has there been a major refurbishment done on it ?
Any further thoughts as to what sort of demand there would be for securing a yearly lease and how much you could get for it ?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Cheers Knocky, that's good info.
That's an exceptional 600-750% capital gain in the space of only 12 years. Has there been a major refurbishment done on it ?
Any further thoughts as to what sort of demand there would be for securing a yearly lease and how much you could get for it ?

Spent about £1,000 and days and days of painting.
In 2004 they were unfashionable and unwanted. Within a year or two they became desirable. I think that by 2006 Had jumped to £12,000. So the 10 year gain since 2006 is not so impressive. Yummie mummies want one at the moment and if it becomes a necessity to have a beach hut to talk about at Dinner Parties they wiould drive the price up. Time will tell.

The yearly lease sounds a perfect idea but I have no idea what would be an achievable price. There is definitely a demand.
You have got me thinking and I may look at renting mine out., especially as It already has Farrow & Ball painted doors, darling. So that I can still use it myself, I would rent in the Easter and Summer holidays and perhaps Half and Full marathon days.

So as an investment I would say no but if she wants a beach hut for her own use and maybe make a small return yes.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
These two may soon be going cheap. Their owners could be in trouble as, apparently the one on the right spent all Boxing Day chasing the one on the left round the seafront. In retaliation the left hut's owner attempted arson.

1 a beach hut.JPG

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
These two may soon be going cheap. Their owners could be in trouble as, apparently the one on the right spent all Boxing Day chasing the one on the left round the seafront. In retaliation the left hut's owner attempted arson.

View attachment 71363

:lolol: Before he burns his own Beach Hut down he will hopefully change the pink to claret. He must have used a cheap claret paint. I think Farrow & Ball have a shade that is closer. Yes a quick look at my Paint Chart and it is "Pikey Claret" in a matt finish. They don't have gloss.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
:lolol: Before he burns his own Beach Hut down he will hopefully change the pink to claret. He must have used a cheap claret paint. I think Farrow & Ball have a shade that is closer. Yes a quick look at my Paint Chart and it is "Pikey Claret" in a matt finish. They don't have gloss.

Is the one on the left owned by a Villa fan then?

Where I live in Dorset the going rate for a beach hut is upwards of £200k :eek:

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/ne...d_beach_huts_up_for_sale_for_a_total_of___1m/

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here